Thoughts on Patternmaster Code Black

TennSportsman

What is everyone's thoughts on the Patternmaster Code Black chokes. I've been using the factory chokes that came with my SBE II. A couple of my buddies use the duck and goose versions and like them. From what I have gathered, the choke acts like a full with 3" shells and a modified with 3.5". It's hard for me to justify the price tag for just a choke.

BlackEagle1

I had a goose for an eagle...... it was a complete joke. The pattern was nonexistent (less than 10 pellets at 50 yards) with a variety of ammo. If you call they will tell you the cokes have no constriction they just rip your wad away from the shot. I sold mine for half of my investment and bought a kicks (highly recommend). The theory of stopping the wadding early seems counter productive for long range performance, but maybe I'm crazy. Both of my benelli guns like an improved mod choke(.710 construction). Good luck!!

TennSportsman

I've been using factory modified here lately with dead birds hitting the ground, although, they were all within 25 yards. Just looking for a longer range option for those certain hunts where the birds are further out. Thanks for the advice.

TennSportsman

prstide":40a10285 said:
What shells are you shooting in your gun? I kill em dead at 40 with a factory modified out of an SBE2 with 3.5" Federal BB's.
I've been using Heavy metal 3" 2's so far this year. Found a good deal on them so figured I would try them out. I also have some 3.5" 2's but haven't used them.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've tried a pattermaster and a kicks high out of my Browning and wasn't impressed with either. I currently use a Carlson and like it much better.

BlackEagle1

I have spent a lot of time and money to find what my guns like. I caint get anything to like hevi metals. Cut one open and look at the shot. It's everything from 9's to BB's and looks like welding slag. All I can figure is that it's the floor sweepings from the good stuff.

TNReb

I have the Code Black Duck in my A5. Shoots a great pattern with Kent Fasteel 3" #2.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have a code black duck in my SX3. With my gun and that choke, it patterns 3 inch 3s best, but 2's 1's, and bb's pattern ok at 40. Getting accustomed to how much lead to give with a full pattern takes a little getting used to, it is less forgiving than a modified pattern. Once I got it sort of figured out, I have been happy with it. Every gun will pattern a bit different with every choke tube, there are always minor differences in guns of the same model from any manufacturer. Best thing I can tell you is that if you have a friend that has one that will fit your gun, try it and see how you like it, but be aware that if you buy your own, expect some minor variation. And try several different shell brands as well, some gun/choke combo's just don't do well with some shells. Mine like Heavy Steel, Win super X, and Monarch's, but does not like any Federal shells, especially Black Clouds. Some folks shoot em all day long and love them though.

prstide

TennSportsman":1r6yt5za said:
I've been using Heavy metal 3" 2's so far this year. Found a good deal on them so figured I would try them out. I also have some 3.5" 2's but haven't used them.
I would try some different shells and put the gun on paper. Never have heard raving reviews on the Hevi Metal shells but can't speak to them personally.