• Advertisement

Advice on a forestry mulcher

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Advice on a forestry mulcher

Postby TnBullet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I want to clear about 3 acres on our property. It's an overgrown field with mostly gum that's 2" to 4" in diameter, but does have some trees that's around 8" in diameter. I'm considering hiring a forestry mulcher. Has anyone here used a mulcher? If so, what are the pros & cons compared to using a dozer. Any advice would be appreciated.
IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
TnBullet
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Advice on a forestry mulcher

Postby Riverday » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 am

I have used a guy to do mulching , it worked out great..not land washing problems or anything...after he was done we planted wheat and killed a nice buck of the food plot..He open up all the old roads on the farm and now you can drive around the place with no problems.. He did all of this in 2 days and was gone....After he was done we didn't have to disc the food plot or anything he had it down to the dirt...just plant...I spent just about 2500 dollars and this included him hauling 3 loads of red gravel for couple of parking area on the farm. I would do it again for sure if i needed it done again.
Riverday
6 Point

Postby Deer Assassin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 am

They are awesome
If you can't hang 'em on the wall
Hang 'em in your teeth
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Postby leader » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:36 am

They can be awesome and they can also be "almost" awesome.
If the guy knows what he is doing I have seen it smooth as dirt. If not you can end up with stobbs in ground or tree chunks thrown out into fields. Just like anything else know who your hiring....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leader
16 Point

Postby BMan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am

Riverday wrote:I have used a guy to do mulching , it worked out great..not land washing problems or anything...after he was done we planted wheat and killed a nice buck of the food plot..He open up all the old roads on the farm and now you can drive around the place with no problems.. He did all of this in 2 days and was gone....After he was done we didn't have to disc the food plot or anything he had it down to the dirt...just plant...I spent just about 2500 dollars and this included him hauling 3 loads of red gravel for couple of parking area on the farm. I would do it again for sure if i needed it done again.

What area of Tennessee was this in?
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point

Postby Riverday » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 am

BMan wrote:
Riverday wrote:I have used a guy to do mulching , it worked out great..not land washing problems or anything...after he was done we planted wheat and killed a nice buck of the food plot..He open up all the old roads on the farm and now you can drive around the place with no problems.. He did all of this in 2 days and was gone....After he was done we didn't have to disc the food plot or anything he had it down to the dirt...just plant...I spent just about 2500 dollars and this included him hauling 3 loads of red gravel for couple of parking area on the farm. I would do it again for sure if i needed it done again.

What area of Tennessee was this in?

West Tenn...Chester Co...
Riverday
6 Point

Postby catman529 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 pm

that sounds like a good deal to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby Jon54 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Search for Byron Whitehead on Facebook. He's hot a machine that I swear would chew down a giant redwood. I think his company is Whitehead Excavating or something like that. Good dude.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
Jon54
10 Point

Postby BMan » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Old topic, but can anyone recommend a forestry mulcher in the Hickman/Dickson/Maury county area? Have a small plot of land that needs to be cleared and am hoping I can find someone that will grind it down to the ground (or lower).
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point

Postby hillbillyfab » Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Star Services Forestry and Mulching is located in the north part of Dickson county. I've personally never used them, but know several that have. You'll have to look them up online.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
hillbillyfab
6 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum