LBL Quota hunts

Poleaxe

scn":nsxsl8uj said:
Poleaxe":nsxsl8uj said:
How many points you got going into this year Steve?

I had one, but had an IL archery hunt conflict with the first hunt and a likely work conflict with the second. So, I just put in for a preference point.

Me and my old man bought a point last year and gonna do the same this year. Hey if we both get it next year we'll meet up and I'll even let you buy me dinner.

Andy S.

Does anyone know the reasoning as to why they separate areas 11 and 12 out, reduce the quota and limit it to MZer? I was just wondering as it has been years since I stepped foot on LBL.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":3nof1pdm said:
Does anyone know the reasoning as to why they separate areas 11 and 12 out, reduce the quota and limit it to MZer? I was just wondering as it has been years since I stepped foot on LBL.
I know the main reason they originally started this decades ago. No idea why it has continued, as the original reasons have mostly vanished or been negated with other policy changes.

This was done originally to accommodate a contingency of nostalgic buckskin-clad muzzleloader hunters who felt they shouldn't have to share the woods with hunters carrying centerfire rifles, and, since they were using antique firearms, they should have special privilege to hunt "either-sex" rather than "buck only". When this started, many of those afield were carrying flintlocks, and a scope on a muzzleloader was virtually unheard of. This special interest group was granted their wish, thus they have their own "special" area with each quota "gun" hunt. Their areas are rotated between Areas 11 & 12, there being two quota gun hunts each year, one of the "muzzleloader only" hunts in Area 11, the other in Area 12. (Note that every other quota hunt in both Areas 11 & 12 are not limited to muzzleloaders.)

Today, all deer hunting at LBL is "either-sex", and relatively few head afield anywhere with the type buckskin-clad flintlock contingency that brought this about. My observation is that most people afield with a muzzleloader (at LBL) are carrying very modern scoped guns which offer little handicap over comparable centerfires rifles. Not to mention, prior to LBL going "either-sex" area wide, many would put in for the muzzleloader hunts more because a doe was legal than because it was muzzleloader hunt. So why does LBL continue to have this muzzleloader-only quota deer hunt?

I don't think there is much difference regarding the number of hunters per acre allowed in one hunt compartment vs. another. The main reason you see those smaller quota numbers on the quota muzzleloader hunts is because they are the quota for a single area (Area 11 being the smallest area at LBL), while the larger quota number is how many hunters will be spread across the other 5 areas, one of which (Area 15) is the single largest area. The quotas per hunt compartment area (11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16) are mainly to help insure the hunters are spread more uniformly across LBL, rather than bunched up, say in Area 15 which seems to be the most popular area due to its larger size. All of the areas are more similar than different, all have a lake bordering one side (either east or west). The best area becomes whichever one you spend the most time.

Andy S.

Thanks Wes. That explains why it was initiated, but I agree, not sure why it has been continued. I have no problem one way or the other, was just wondering, thanks again.

csi-tech

We went last year. One of my buddies killed a small one but other than that not much. I paid my 5.00 for to start my climb up again.

Land Between the Lakes

These hunts can be good if people hunt the right places. One problem is a lot of hunters who get selected for these hunts do not show up. Sometimes you need other hunters pushing deer in order to see good numbers, but when people don't show up it is hard for that to happen.

Latest posts