Deer hunting with a pistol?

Buck Assassin

I have always wanted to kill a deer with a pistol since I turned 18 but just never have. I want to try it this year but I have a few questions since I don't know a whole lot about pistols.

I have a Smith and Wesson model 10 revolver in 38 special. It's the only pistol I have besides a .22. Would a 38 have enough knockdown power to hunt with if I use a premium bullet? Im thinking I would have to keep my shots pretty close too?

I'm pretty sure Dad has a 357 he would let me borrow but I would really like to use my own equipment if I can. I can shoot my own pistol pretty accurately too.
Any feedback is appreciated!

bigtex

Not saying a .38 will not kill a deer, i'm sure they will and have, but IMO it is waaay underpowered. The .357, .44 mag or .45 is a much better choice.
My go to pistol for deer is a T/C contender chambered in 30-30.

scn

The shot would have to be extremely close. Over the years, the standard for whitetails for a humane kill has been 1000 footpounds of energy at whatever the range is for the shot. I doubt that your .38 would have that even starting at the muzzle, much less down range. I once shot a wounded buck with a .357 and quality bullet at fairly close range, and had very poor results.

Your pistol would be legal, but probably not an ethical choice. I'd leave it for finishing off a deer during the gun season if necessary.

lonewolf1330

A 38 and 357 are the same caliber bullet just different powder charge I would want something that will leave a better blood trail I use a 44 and have had great results I load with the hornady FTX very accurate and awesome blood trail

muzzyman71

44 mag Ruger super red hawk
10 inch barrel open sights
180 grain hornady XTP
21 grains H110 moving at 1876fps
44 yards straight on shot
kill pic is in the trophy room under Jason Goans.
Still my favorite hunt because the pistol was used.

DirtyBear0311

I would say that it would be effective at about 3 feet if you go for a head shot. I would certainly not try it even then but I would think that its capable. I wouldnt trust the guns sites out beyond that. Problem is, how do you raise the gun and chocolate chip cookie the hammer without being busted at the range needed to kill it effectively?

Buck Assassin

Ok thanks guys! Just what I needed to know! I thought it might be to small but I wanted to get some opinions first. I think I might have solved my problems though! I have a 44 mag located. I will probably be posting a question about it pretty quick! thanks guys!

tn gunman

I have killed 6 deer over the last few years with a .357 mag it is a Ruger GP 100 with 6 inch barrel. They have all been shot with my hand loads which consist of a max recommended charge of blue dot powder and a 158g hornady xtp. These are about as stout as a 357 load can be. Probably hotter than most factory loads ( No stats to back that up just assuming) and I can assure you they are devastating on any size deer 50 yards and closer. I had 1 shot pass through both shoulders on a average size doe at 40 yards. Just remember with any caliber handgun that you are going to be hunting with ammo selection is key also remember barrel length. Longer barrels = higher velocity and can mean a more accurate shot but that is dependent on the shooter.

Latest posts