• Advertisement

Why is it so hard to follow Rules (Renters)

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Why is it so hard to follow Rules (Renters)

Postby TNGRIZZLY_ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pm

We are managing a house for my parents and allowed it to be rented out. We showed a lot of people and ran background check on those we like. So after the first two weeks in, the renters broke the first rule (No Pets). We made them get rid of the two pups, Second Rule broken: first of nov they ask us to let them pay half now and half in two weeks. Well he just started a new job and they spent over $800 to get everything hook up so we said ok for this month. Now onto the third rule broken: no guest staying for more than 5 days, she ask her parents to stay all month with her, since her bf is working on the road and is gone a lot. they only live 5 miles away so I told them to be out tomorrow (The Parents). Then the Bf message me asking why I am picking on his gf and I told him that I aint and if he dint like the rules to leave. I said that you signed the contract with all this in it and we even talk about it. He also ask why we dont allow smoking inside, no pets, no people for a long time and so on, I told him it is our house and our rules and that he knew all the rules when he signed the contract. The house is beside us and they only been in since the first of oct. I thinking about just leaving the house empty and not rent it to anyone, people make me so mad. :bash: :bash:
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want.
TNGRIZZLY_
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Why is it so hard to follow Rules (Renters)

Postby SEC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:34 pm

I see trouble coming..........
SEC
6 Point

Postby TNGRIZZLY_ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 pm

SEC wrote:I see trouble coming..........

yes so do I.

question is: do I give them another chance and hope that everything works out, or tell them to be out at the first of the year? We do 3 month contracts
TNGRIZZLY_
10 Point

Postby ImThere » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Send them packing before your house is full of nicotine.

See you in a tree, Ricky
Predator Kestrel
Custom Climbing sicks
Ernie Powers linesman w/ sitdrag
ImThere
14 Point

Postby reloaderman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 pm

I see trouble coming..........I'm gonna have to agree, send them packing and get rid of a major 'headache'.....
reloaderman
4 Point

Postby iowavf » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:50 pm

No put your foot down and see if they want to change. If not get another renter. We’ve been blessed with really good renters in out two houses, but had one start off on a bad note and called them on it and said you just used two strikes and the next one you’re out. They were there a couple more years and no other issues.
iowavf
12 Point

Postby Kilby » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Send them a certified letter stating if any other rules are broken for the remainder of the contract they will forfeit any deposits made and be given 14 days to Vacate the Premises
Kilby
4 Point

Postby Chaneylake » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:36 pm

A person imo should never own anything that eats while you sleep

Think about this, you just become a mad upset baby sitter.
Don't piss down my back and tell me its rain, Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales

Having you along is like losing 2 good men

You do not have permission to view the attached photos
Chaneylake
16 Point

Postby TNTreeman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Get them out ASAP . It will get worse. If you continue to rent it have a property manager handle it. The new renters don't even have to know you all own it. That way they won't ask you for anything but you can monitor everything and contact the prop manager if you see something you don't like.They are better at screening and can handle any late night problems. Also I've found renters don't mess with them as much as they do the nice neighbor renting them a house right next door. I have a rental one house down from me. It's good and bad.
TNTreeman
8 Point

Postby Urban_Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 pm

TNTreeman wrote:Get them out ASAP . It will get worse. If you continue to rent it have a property manager handle it. The new renters don't even have to know you all own it. That way they won't ask you for anything but you can monitor everything and contact the prop manager if you see something you don't like.They are better at screening and can handle any late night problems. Also I've found renters don't mess with them as much as they do the nice neighbor renting them a house right next door. I have a rental one house down from me. It's good and bad.

This. The fee a property manager takes is worth every penny.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure
Urban_Hunter
12 Point

Postby TNGRIZZLY_ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Urban_Hunter wrote:
TNTreeman wrote:Get them out ASAP . It will get worse. If you continue to rent it have a property manager handle it. The new renters don't even have to know you all own it. That way they won't ask you for anything but you can monitor everything and contact the prop manager if you see something you don't like.They are better at screening and can handle any late night problems. Also I've found renters don't mess with them as much as they do the nice neighbor renting them a house right next door. I have a rental one house down from me. It's good and bad.

This. The fee a property manager takes is worth every penny.

How does it all work and what is the going rate.
TNGRIZZLY_
10 Point

Postby TNTreeman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:35 pm

It varies. The place I use keeps half of the first months rent as a finders fee and 9% each month after that. They screen the people, do credit checks and handle late fees, evictions, etc. They contact you for any repairs and you handle it by fixing it yourself or hiring someone . I have one that some older folks live in and I've done most of all the repairs and they have no idea I own it. I'll be trimming bushes and mulching this week there. They kind of talk down to me and are bossy but I just laugh it off. Check out different places on your area and go with one you feel good about. It's much better this way and you can keep your anonymity if you'd like since your so close.
TNTreeman
8 Point

Postby TheAirMan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 am

I've worked in enough rentals over the years to where I would as soon burn a place down than rent it.

Sent from my SM-J327R6 using Tapatalk
TheAirMan
16 Point

Postby Mattt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:22 am

Sounds like too much attachment. Gotta treat it like a business and not be so emotionally vested. I have a few properties and it can be a headache. But on the other hand it makes a lot of money also. Gonna be painful with them rite next door to you. I have been screwed just as much by folks with good credit and well dressed as I have by the ones you would think would be a problem. No way to know but try them. The three month deal isn't a bad idea. I do it by the week. They can pay monthly in advance if they want but it's by the week lease.
Mattt
6 Point

Postby TNGRIZZLY_ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks guys
TNGRIZZLY_
10 Point

Postby rem270 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am

If they've only been in since October and already on strike 3 then it will only get worse from here. I'd get them out ASAP. Thanks for motivating me to never rent out property :D
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
rem270
Non-Typical

Postby Bucket » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am

I second the property manager. I managed my own for a while, then went with a local management company that charged 9%. They were able to rent the place for more than I did, though, so it paid for itself. All that said, I sold the place a couple years ago at the market peak (the place was going to need several costly upgrades soon) and I'm happy not to have to fool with it any longer.
Bucket
8 Point

Postby TNGRIZZLY_ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm

I am hoping to buy it off my parents next year and let my oldest son move in. Until then we was just wanting to keep someone in to pay for the mortgage.
TNGRIZZLY_
10 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum