• Advertisement

Wonder what his story was .....

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Wonder what his story was .....

Postby JJ3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Did some poking around in a thicket just to the right of one of our stands yesterday -- had heard deer walking around in there several times in first half of season but couldn't see what was there. So we started following a trail into the thicket and pretty quickly found a part of a leg bone, rib and a jawbone of a 2.5 yr deer. Looked around and starting finding chunks of hair. Another 50 yards in we found this -- nice 8 pt, about 14" wide.

We have a trail cam about 100 - 125 yards from where we found this. Back in December when we had checked the camera one time we wondered why there were so many coyotes around for a couple of days. Went back to look at those pictures and the coyotes started coming and going through the area about 10 am on December 5, and there was a constant stream of them back and forth by the camera over the next 24 hours -- think we found the reason. So I'm guessing this deer died in there the evening/night of December 4 or morning of December 5. Guessing that he:

1. Was shot by another hunter a couple of properties away, ran, and wasn't recovered
2. Was road poached in the field adjacent to our lease (not supposed to be anyone hunting that property)
3. Hit by a vehicle and made it a couple of hundred yards off the road
4. Disease

Most likely 1, 2, or 3, but we'll never know. We don't think we had this deer on camera or may have once. In any case too bad because he would likely have been nice at 3.5.

Circle of life .......

IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG (142.43 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
JJ3
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Wonder what his story was .....

Postby MUP » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

Circle of life for sure, but it's still kinda sad when you find one like that.
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Postby catman529 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Was there any damage to the skull or pedicle where he could have died from infection from a fighting injury? Some of the deadheads I find show signs of fighting injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby muddyboots » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I would move my location so I could see in this thicket.
muddyboots
16 Point

Postby JJ3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

catman529 wrote:Was there any damage to the skull or pedicle where he could have died from infection from a fighting injury? Some of the deadheads I find show signs of fighting injury

Everything was too damaged and scattered to tell. The yotes had done a number.
JJ3
4 Point

Postby JJ3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

muddyboots wrote:I would move my location so I could see in this thicket.

Before spring growth starts I plan to try cutting some shooting lanes to give me a line of sight -- about 50 - 75 yards from the stand I've got in there. Unfortunately its all a big thicket from overly "select" cut that I think took everything out over 12" and now about 6 years regrowth. But there are "pocket" holes that are open and trails running everywhere.
JJ3
4 Point

Postby fairchaser » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 am

It’s hard to make a living in the whitetail world. Something is always trying to kill them. It’s only by shear numbers, that some make it to older ages especially nice bucks with a price on their head. The odds are staggering. Think about that the next time you see a big majestic mature buck standing there like he owns the place.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby Tiny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:30 am

is it possible the yotes took it down?
Tiny
16 Point

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk