Frustrated to no end...

tree_ghost

Well it seems I have an ongoing streak of bad luck when it comes to trail cams...whether it's a brand new camera that doesn't work out of the box, batteries that burst inside and ruin the camera, SD cards that simply die or the fact that I forgot to turn the power button on; I can't seem to have all my cameras work properly at one time. Not to mention I leave my cameras out for very long soaks in between card pulls so when I come to a camera in my premier
Location for the velvet hunt and I have 0 pictures to show for the last 2 months I'm [emoji2959]to say the least...end of rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

I can relate, I've checked all of those boxes over the last 20 years. FWIW, I always play with/become familiar with, as well as test cams in my yard before deploying it. It allows me to learn it and test if it'll detect/trigger me/my movement before I drive an hour, walk an hour, and deploy the camera in a remote location. Better luck next time, I know it can be frustrating.

fairchaser

We've all done this. I recommend a checklist on your phone to make sure all is good. My big problem is not factoring in the sun and getting the wrong angle.

megalomaniac

A few tricks I've learned from making those same mistakes over the years....

Always remove batteries from the camera at the end of the season. I will reuse lithiums on the cams I will be checking every other week, but start with fresh new lithiums on cams that will be placed for at least a month before checking. Never mix old and new batteries.

Always use class 10 SD cards. Cheap slow ones may work, but its hit or miss. Be sure its formatted and fresh. Especially if you have more than one camera type. Use the regular SD cards and avoid the micro SDs

Always test the camera in your house before deploying to ensure it is working properly. I test mine as soon as they arrive, then write the purchase date on a piece of tape and stick on the battery compartment door. (That way if the cam fails within the warranty period, I can get it replaced).

Check the seals on the cams with a front opening door. A dab of chapstick on the rubber seal will help waterproof the seal. Be sure there is no debris sticking to the rubber before closing the door.

Be aggressive about trimming vegetation around the camera, especially if it's being placed in the summer when stuff is growing fast.

Be sure you bring extra batteries, SD cards, and a back up camera every time you check cams in case you need to replace, especially important on your main cam sites.

I've gone towards using the cheaper cameras and deploying way more of them. I think I'll be running between 15 and 20 this season. That strategy worked out really well last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Mr.Bro

megalomaniac":22t3du1w said:
A few tricks I've learned from making those same mistakes over the years....

Always remove batteries from the camera at the end of the season. I will reuse lithiums on the cams I will be checking every other week, but start with fresh new lithiums on cams that will be placed for at least a month before checking. Never mix old and new batteries.

Always use class 10 SD cards. Cheap slow ones may work, but its hit or miss. Be sure its formatted and fresh. Especially if you have more than one camera type. Use the regular SD cards and avoid the micro SDs

Always test the camera in your house before deploying to ensure it is working properly. I test mine as soon as they arrive, then write the purchase date on a piece of tape and stick on the battery compartment door. (That way if the cam fails within the warranty period, I can get it replaced).

Check the seals on the cams with a front opening door. A dab of chapstick on the rubber seal will help waterproof the seal. Be sure there is no debris sticking to the rubber before closing the door.

Be aggressive about trimming vegetation around the camera, especially if it's being placed in the summer when stuff is growing fast.

Be sure you bring extra batteries, SD cards, and a back up camera every time you check cams in case you need to replace, especially important on your main cam sites.

I've gone towards using the cheaper cameras and deploying way more of them. I think I'll be running between 15 and 20 this season. That strategy worked out really well last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Prime advise here. I may add also on some early season mineral sites I use 2 cameras and some I have a hidden security cam also.
Most time a usually carry an extra camera that I know for a fact works as should and just swap out. Quick in and out.
Good luck!

Latest posts