Locking your handgun in your truck

fairchaser

There's been a lot of handgun thefts from vehicles lately. There's even been a news report about it. Got me thinking about some way to lock my gun but also being able to get to it quickly. I talk to a LEO yesterday and he uses a lock box with a rotary dial lock. But, he only uses it if he has to leave it inside the vehicle. I don't take my gun out ever unless I have to go somewhere where I think I need one. Looking for ideas.

MUP

I use a lock box that cable locks to the seat frame in my vehicles. When I'm traveling I keep the key in it for a turn and access capability. Take the key out when I'm out of the vehicle. Simple as that.

fairchaser

GOODWIN":1qu7ptys said:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/snapsafe-lg-lock-box#repChildCatid=5753501

I got one of these the other day for my truck. Plan on getting another for my wife's vehicle. Thought it was good deal at only $10. Actually built pretty well I thought. Not bullet proof but think it would detour 99% of scum.

Great deal and would work for sure. Fumbling with a key if your being carjacked might be a problem unless you took it out ahead of time.

Matador

This is not really an easy thing to do without some risk. If you put some type lock.able box, it is hard to conceal good and still easy to get to when you need it. Myself, I would probably get one of the magnets and try to hide it under dash. If you brave you might even consider fenderwell or bumpper if they have metal. You can buy a battery powered motion light or two that will Sit on dash turned toward the windows and detect motion.

TresMon

I promise...
If you ever need your handgun, it will be when it's locked up elsewhere and you thought you wouldn't need it. Murphy's law will see to it.
Why take that chance?

I don't know about you(folks) but knowing I have good handgun skills...if something went down and I did not have my handgun to keep innocent people from being harmed.....simply cause I left my weapon in my vehicle...I'd never ever forgive myself. All the more if it was a loved one.

I plan on never letting that happen. And our society needs good men at the ready. Cause evil doesn't work by formal appointment, and it specifically looks for unarmed people.

In going on near 30 years of concealed carry...I've drawn my pistol three times, convinced I was being forced to administer lethal force. Thank God the weapon made the evil-no-good-son-of-a-so-and-so see the error of their ways and Immediayl cease & desist. And all three times I was stunned that it was that, then & there....of all times & places, that I needed my weapon.
My 2 cents.

MUP

For the record, when I leave my vehicle weapon locked in the box, I'm still not without a carry weapon. It's just that the weapon in the box is sometimes easier to access while I'm sitting in the vehicle than from a holster on my person.

GOODWIN

TresMon":3q3n23v7 said:
I promise...
If you ever need your handgun, it will be when it's locked up elsewhere and you thought you wouldn't need it. Murphy's law will see to it.
Why take that chance?

I don't know about you(folks) but knowing I have good handgun skills...if something went down and I did not have my handgun to keep innocent people from being harmed.....simply cause I left my weapon in my vehicle...I'd never ever forgive myself. All the more if it was a loved one.

I plan on never letting that happen. And our society needs good men at the ready. Cause evil doesn't work by formal appointment, and it specifically looks for unarmed people.

In going on near 30 years of concealed carry...I've drawn my pistol three times, convinced I was being forced to administer lethal force. Thank God the weapon made the evil-no-good-son-of-a-so-and-so see the error of their ways and Immediayl cease & desist. And all three times I was stunned that it was that, then & there....of all times & places, that I needed my weapon.
My 2 cents.

Thankfully I've never been in that situation. Curious...under what circumstances did you have to draw?

woodyard

MUP":19qtdqpr said:
For the record, when I leave my vehicle weapon locked in the box, I'm still not without a carry weapon. It's just that the weapon in the box is sometimes easier to access while I'm sitting in the vehicle than from a holster on my person.

I like the way you think Mup. I use the lockbox with cable if I need to leave my gun in the truck if I am not allowed to carry in somewhere that I am going. I also have two or three in,on, or around me lots of times.

I had a fishing buddy( now deceased) that worked as a policeman at one time. The first trip we took he had a little duffel type bag he laid in the front floor. After a while he asked me how many guns I had with me and I only had my one in the center console. He pulled three out of his bag. Followed his lead since then. :D

mike243

It's very few places I go that my pistol isn't in my pocket,the Drs office or into the court house ect.no long time away from the vehicle.Had a guy come out of nowhere and pass me in coming out of a curve and I threw my hands up as it was a little 2 ln road,he slammed brakes on and blocked the road.Opened his door and started out ,I opened lunch bag and retrieved something besides a sandwich,he then stood on the door jamb cussing me :shock: ,had Ga tags driving a super duty over in blaine area off indian ridge road.Thought for sure it was going to get ugly.not sure what his problem was as I was doing the speed limit ect.the time to retrieve it took longer than I want so things have since changed because seconds do count

MUP

Mike that reminded me of an instance where I was caught off guard as well. I was coming back from my hunting property one afternoon and noticed a new Toyota Tacoma off down the embankment from the main hwy on 111, stuck in the marsh down there where 4 wheelers usually ride. I stopped upon the hwy, a good 200 yds from this truck, and was going to back up and see if anyone needed assistance. Before I could get started backing up there was a guy in my window acting all nervous and jumpy, knocking on it, like I didn't know he was there. Turned out to be a kid that had taken his brothers new truck for a spin and had gotten it stuck, but, that kinda rattled me as to how quickly someone can be upon you.

fairchaser

MUP":3lfji847 said:
Mike that reminded me of an instance where I was caught off guard as well. I was coming back from my hunting property one afternoon and noticed a new Toyota Tacoma off down the embankment from the main hwy on 111, stuck in the marsh down there where 4 wheelers usually ride. I stopped upon the hwy, a good 200 yds from this truck, and was going to back up and see if anyone needed assistance. Before I could get started backing up there was a guy in my window acting all nervous and jumpy, knocking on it, like I didn't know he was there. Turned out to be a kid that had taken his brothers new truck for a spin and had gotten it stuck, but, that kinda rattled me as to how quickly someone can be upon you.

Most encounters happen more quickly than we can even react to even if you have your hand on your gun. That's why anticipating danger and avoiding it is the best approach. If you do have time to react, it's one second and one shot which is why I prefer a revolver rather than anything that requires anything more than point and pull.

TresMon

GOODWIN":1cigi4lm said:
TresMon":1cigi4lm said:
I
Thankfully I've never been in that situation. Curious...under what circumstances did you have to draw?

First time...I was young....21ish? I was in the parking lot of my motel headed towards my Jeep while on vacation @ Myrtle Beach. I was headed out for dinner and a show. I had a fuss with some guys on the beach in front of my motel that morning. They were bugging a gal to go out with the one guy. They refused her polite, repeated "no thanks." She finally looked over and gave me "rescue me" eyes. I walked up and said to her "Let's go for a walk" to which she sprung up and we did. The guys said to me..."we're gonna get ya dude." The gal and I walked a while, circled around, we got out stuff and I saw her to her room safely and went about my day. So yeah, in the parking lot that night, they must have been watching me. As I was headed to my Jeep...they circled around in a car that had the interior lights turned off. They said "Hey man, can you give us directions to Hooters?" It was dark and I sure wasn't expecting it to be the jerks from the beach. I squatted down next to the passenger door and started explaining where I thought it was. Then I saw the dark outline of a pistol raise in the drivers hand. The driver said "think you're the big man on the beach huh?" I drew my pistol, pointed it at the drivers chest on the other side of the passenger door I was squatted by, eased the safety off and started squeezing the trigger as I was telling him "You want to go to jail forever over a girl on a beach?" Like I said...I was squatted down by the passenger door so that didn't;t see me draw or aim the pistol.
I was waiting for my pistol to go off. Another car pulled in the parking lot nearby and its headlights provided just enough lighting for me to see the driver was holding a Crossman, pump-up pellet pistol. I stood up still pointing my pistol and said "I almost killed you over a BB gun." They sped away.

I was as on Gay St, in downtown Knoxville late one saturday night. I was headed to do some street evangelism with Lost Sheep Ministries where all the college kids party in the Old City. Sitting at a red light...A woman yanked my car door open and jumped in my car is a flash. I was startled, but impressed myself...by the time her butt touched the seat..my PPK was jammed into her ribs with the safety off and I had the trigger preloaded. She started screaming "oh God don't shoot me" over & over. I asked why in the heck she would jump in someones car? She said because she desperately needed a ride and knew no one would giver her a ride, but figured if she could get on someone's car..they'd be stuck and have to give the ride........

I was almost home from a long fun road trip. It was late...say 11PM. I decided to stop at the last (closed at that hour) gas station near my home and throw away the road snack trash and drink bottles that had accumulated in the passenger floor board. There in the darkness I was leaned over collecting the trash when there was a knock on my driver window. I raised up startled....only to see a man at my driver door with a small souvenir baseball bat. A man was also in front of my car with a pipe or something, and a guy was behind my car. He said "we're going to have to have some money." I snatched my pistol, and said if "if you gain another 1/4" on this vehicle I'm killing you, then I'll see what I can work out with your friends." he said "Come on boys!" and they ran off into the darkness.

7mm08

My life is worth more than a 400-500$ Glock. Let em have it if they break in your car. But by golly it will be available quickly if I need it and I will not spin some combo lock trying to save my life or family's life. Just make sure you have the serial number written down somewhere and report it stolen. No big deal.

Latest posts