• Advertisement

Holster

Holster

Postby tnyotehunter1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I just bought a Ruger 9e and I want to carry it. What holster would you recommend. I would like to carry outside the waste.Thanks
tnyotehunter1
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Holster

Postby Tiny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Check Alien Gear
Tiny
16 Point

Postby Coldfusion » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I still like my black hawk cqc holsters. But if you like kydex check viking concealment. They have a Facebook and website. Great stuff made in Mt Juliet. I don't own any yet but know many people who do and I've looked at them. They are high quality. He has alot of patterns too. His raptor black and brown actually look like rich leather. It's crazy. His prices are fair also.

For daily carry I'd also strongly strongly encourage you to carry concealed and in the waist band (further concealment). There are zero advantages to open carry and many advantages to concealed. If you do consider this I like galco king tuck. The ones with large leather backings are much more comfortable. I'm not a fan of kydex in the waist band, comfort wise.

Both have their place just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:04 am

Coldfusion wrote:I still like my black hawk cqc holsters. But if you like kydex check viking concealment. They have a Facebook and website. Great stuff made in Mt Juliet. I don't own any yet but know many people who do and I've looked at them. They are high quality. He has alot of patterns too. His raptor black and brown actually look like rich leather. It's crazy. His prices are fair also.

For daily carry I'd also strongly strongly encourage you to carry concealed and in the waist band (further concealment). There are zero advantages to open carry and many advantages to concealed. If you do consider this I like galco king tuck. The ones with large leather backings are much more comfortable. I'm not a fan of kydex in the waist band, comfort wise.

Both have their place just my opinion.

Zero advantages to open carry?
dbierman
Spike

Postby ImThere » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:06 am

dbierman wrote:

Yep zero that’s why the police have started concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule # 10 Never be more than 5 shots away from a reload, cover or a long gun
ImThere
12 Point

Postby Coldfusion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:50 am

ImThere wrote:
dbierman wrote:

As far as citizen carry permits what advantage does open carry have? The only one I could come up with is maybe a slight advantage on draw speed. There are no tactical advantages. And actually most police departments have policy and train their employees to carry concealed when off duty. Open carry makes you more of a target if an incident arises. If you carry concealed you have an advantage.

Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am

ImThere wrote:
dbierman wrote:

I'm just wondering how you come to the conclusion there are "zero advantages" to open carry?
dbierman
Spike

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 am

Coldfusion wrote:
ImThere wrote:
dbierman wrote:

As far as citizen carry permits what advantage does open carry have? The only one I could come up with is maybe a slight advantage on draw speed. There are no tactical advantages. And actually most police departments have policy and train their employees to carry concealed when off duty. Open carry makes you more of a target if an incident arises. If you carry concealed you have an advantage.

You don't consider an "advantage on draw speed" a tactical advantage?
dbierman
Spike

Postby Coldfusion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 am

Not if the bad guy observes you as a perceived threat and shoots you before you even know there's a threat. I said draw speed was a slight advantage, but not as much when you weigh disadvantages. And draw speed has way more to do with practice than the holster. I'll bet I can draw from my iwb faster that most can draw from their outter rig. It's all practice and muscle memory. And I don't even practice as much as I should.

Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:12 am

Coldfusion wrote:Not if the bad guy observes you as a perceived threat and shoots you before you even know there's a threat. I said draw speed was a slight advantage, but not as much when you weigh disadvantages. And draw speed has way more to do with practice than the holster. I'll bet I can draw from my iwb faster that most can draw from their outter rig. It's all practice and muscle memory. And I don't even practice as much as I should.

Ok, I'll give you that. You can draw your weapon from concealed carry faster than most can draw from open carry, that's very possible. But, can you do it faster than someone who has practiced drawing from OC just as much as you have practiced drawing from CC?
dbierman
Spike

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am

Coldfusion wrote:Not if the bad guy observes you as a perceived threat and shoots you before you even know there's a threat. I said draw speed was a slight advantage, but not as much when you weigh disadvantages. And draw speed has way more to do with practice than the holster. I'll bet I can draw from my iwb faster that most can draw from their outter rig. It's all practice and muscle memory. And I don't even practice as much as I should.

The debate about being a target of the bad guy first is a reasonable one. But there are no statistical facts to support this belief.

You're just as likely, in theory, to deter a threat by open carrying as you are to become a target, would you agree?
dbierman
Spike

Postby Coldfusion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:17 am

dbierman wrote:

Ok, I'll give you that. You can draw your weapon from concealed carry faster than most can draw from open carry, that's very possible. But, can you do it faster than someone who has practiced drawing from OC just as much as you have practiced drawing from CC?
Probably not. Which is why I said that was a slight advantage. But that's like equating a Ferrari to a 4x4 in a mud bog. Yeah the Ferrari is faster but if the conditions aren't right it does you no good. I know alot of people feel macho to open carry and think it looks cool. But think about the totality of the pros and cons. CC is the better option. Your entitled to your opinion and so is the Imthere. I can tell you my opinion is based on my training and experiences dealing with this very topic multiple times. If you disagree that's fine. I was just giving what I feel is the best advise to the OP

Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

Coldfusion wrote:
dbierman wrote:

Probably not. Which is why I said that was a slight advantage. But that's like equating a Ferrari to a 4x4 in a mud bog. Yeah the Ferrari is faster but if the conditions aren't right it does you no good. I know alot of people feel macho to open carry and think it looks cool. But think about the totality of the pros and cons. CC is the better option. Your entitled to your opinion and so is the Imthere. I can tell you my opinion is based on my training and experiences dealing with this very topic multiple times. If you disagree that's fine. I was just giving what I feel is the best advise to the OP

I was just trying to open a little debate, coldfusion made the statement that "there are no advantages to OC" and imthere supported his statement.

I wondered how he came to that conclusion and seemed to state it as fact, when in fact, it's not.
Last edited by dbierman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
dbierman
Spike

Postby dbierman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 am

Coldfusion wrote:
dbierman wrote:

You comparing the Ferrarri to a 4X4 is the same as comparing your "practiced draw" to other who haven't practiced as much as you, that's not a fair comparison to support you position.
dbierman
Spike

Postby Coldfusion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:08 am

You comparing the Ferrarri to a 4X4 is the same as comparing your "practiced draw" to other who haven't practiced as much as you, that's not a fair comparison to support you position.[/quote]

I thought it was a good comparison since Ferrari's are pretty much just good for speed and don't serve a practicality was my point on it

Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby infoman jr. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am

You guys know that you can carry outside the waistband AND conceal it, right?

infoman jr.
12 Point

Postby Coldfusion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 pm

infoman jr. wrote:You guys know that you can carry outside the waistband AND conceal it, right?

Yes I do that often in colder months. Very good option.

Coldfusion
4 Point

Postby Hunter 257W » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 pm

infoman jr. wrote:You guys know that you can carry outside the waistband AND conceal it, right?

My thoughts exactly. :) I always/only carry outside the waist band and cover it with a loose shirt or coat. Or use a holster that doesn't look like a holster such as the "cell phone" case type holsters.
Hunter 257W
14 Point

Postby Tiny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 am

I do both depending on my mood n what's I gots going on.. OWB IWB.
Tiny
16 Point

Return to Guns, Gunsmithing, Optics & Reloading