Shot my first reloads today

infoman jr.

I loaded up some match ammo for my .308 bolt gun recently and got to try them out today. I worked up in half-grain increments to book max (I need to go higher). The sighter target at the bottom was shot with the facory equivalent of what I'm loading - Barnes Precision Match 175gr which had noticeably higher recoil. The cold-bore shot was to the right, and the second and third shots were touching. It's been a great load for this gun.

I'm loading 175gr Barnes Match Burners over Varget in ADG cases with CCI BR2 primers. The shots were made as follows:
12345, 54321, 12345

cool

678910, 109876, 678910.

Group 2 is obviously very good, but I suspect there is a node somewhere around group 8. The first two shots of that group were touching, and I suspect the barrel was getting a little warm which may have skewed the third shot. I'll load around target 2 and target 8 for my text go round.

image-145392.JPG

Jcalder

2 and 8 look very promising. Any idea on velocity. You could also load a bit above max but do so cautiously. How many references are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infoman jr.

Jcalder":3fnrdr6j said:
2 and 8 look very promising. Any idea on velocity. You could also load a bit above max but do so cautiously. How many references are you using?

No concrete data on velocity on my loads, but I know this gun shoots the factory Barnes load at 2519. A chrono is next on my list of purchases. I could use my QuickLoad software to get pretty close. The Barnes manual is my primary source for this load. I have a lot of experience in high pressure loads due to work, so I'll know what to watch for.

Jcalder

How do you like the quickload software. Biggest reason I asked about references is some are very conservative. Others are borderline dangerous lol. I try to use 2-3 and split the difference and work slowly when I'm getting close to max

infoman jr.

Jcalder":7gmf11wi said:
How do you like the quickload software. Biggest reason I asked about references is some are very conservative. Others are borderline dangerous lol. I try to use 2-3 and split the difference and work slowly when I'm getting close to max

Quickload is great. The user interface is terrible, but it spits out a ton of data. It would be a more useful tool if I got to shoot more on my own time. The published load data seems to be conservative as I didn't see any pressure signs at all at book max.

jlanecr500

I use the OCW method of load development. With a 308, .3 gr increments will better show the node. With Varget, there will likely be a node right at max. With 168gr bullets that is near 46 gr. 2 and 8 look promising. Start with .020 inch off the lands.

infoman jr.

jlanecr500":1eevgyvw said:
I use the OCW method of load development. With a 308, .3 gr increments will better show the node. With Varget, there will likely be a node right at max. With 168gr bullets that is near 46 gr. 2 and 8 look promising. Start with .020 inch off the lands.
I used .5gr increments to save ammo and "cast a wide net" so I can go back and fine tune around powder charges that look promising. I'm loaded as long as I can fit in a mag already.

DaveB

I think you are not necessarily on the right trail.

Group 4 is displaying vertical stringing-your barrel MAY have been too hot, that is the most common cause. Next would be things like powder charge errors, scope failure, flinch. I'm voting for hot barrel.

I would re-shoot that recipe with 3 cold barrels. That exact straight vertical line grabbed my attention.

infoman jr.

DaveB":1mldjxs1 said:
I think you are not necessarily on the right trail.

Group 4 is displaying vertical stringing-your barrel MAY have been too hot, that is the most common cause. Next would be things like powder charge errors, scope failure, flinch. I'm voting for hot barrel.

I would re-shoot that recipe with 3 cold barrels. That exact straight vertical line grabbed my attention.
I appreciate your input. There were no shot execution issues and the Bushnell XRS has been a proven performer. At 30x, I could see the most minor of movements. Each charge was trickled to exact weight. I still expect I may find another node above book max, so I'm going to creep to pressure signs. I'll revisit #4, but I hope to be able to squeeze more velocity out of it.

mr.big

I would shoot that same test with 4064, and RL15 ,,Varget is not the end all to everything 308,,

all the vertical in nearly all charges would make me look into bedding ,,if it has an aluminum bedding block I would skim bed the action and recoil lug,,

infoman jr.

mr.big":3stylbfr said:
I would shoot that same test with 4064, and RL15 ,,Varget is not the end all to everything 308,,

all the vertical in nearly all charges would make me look into bedding ,,if it has an aluminum bedding block I would skim bed the action and recoil lug,,
I appreciate it, but I'm not going to go into much effort on the rifle itself as it'll be replaced by a 6.5 or .260 by the fall. I'm just trying to get a match or two under my belt with it and practice load development. If it holds MOA groups, that'll be enough to get me by.

Latest posts