• Advertisement

Shot my first reloads today

Re: Shot my first reloads today

Postby Rockhound » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm

infoman jr. wrote:
Rockhound wrote:How did you determine seating depth? Or are you going by book depth?

Max length to fit a magazine.

for match rounds you may have to seat them longer, and single feed them and not worry about the magazine
Rockhound
10 Point

Advertisement

Postby infoman jr. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:42 pm

MUP wrote:How far off the lands did that put the bullet?

I'd have to check my data, but it's not even close so I didn't worry about it.

Rockhound wrote:
infoman jr. wrote:
Rockhound wrote:How did you determine seating depth? Or are you going by book depth?

for match rounds you may have to seat them longer, and single feed them and not worry about the magazine

I don't have any desire to shoot any matches that allow for single feeding. Small groups from a bench isn't my end goal. Shooting PRS-style matches is, and that requires stuffing a magazine.
infoman jr.
12 Point

Postby MUP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:51 am

infoman jr. wrote:
MUP wrote:How far off the lands did that put the bullet?

I'd have to check my data, but it's not even close so I didn't worry about it.

Sounds like my rounds in my Mod 710 in 30-06. If I tried to reach the lands, the bullet would be completely out of the case nearly. As it stands, the distance to the lands is .150", but I'm getting under .750 MOA with it, so like you said, I don't worry about it. ;)
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Postby Rockhound » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 am

Rockhound wrote:
infoman jr. wrote:

I don't have any desire to shoot any matches that allow for single feeding. Small groups from a bench isn't my end goal. Shooting PRS-style matches is, and that requires stuffing a magazine.[/quote]

I'm not familiar with match rules so I didn't know there was a difference
Rockhound
10 Point

Postby infoman jr. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Rockhound wrote:
I'm not familiar with match rules so I didn't know there was a difference

Less this:

More this:
infoman jr.
12 Point

Postby mr.big » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

when loading to mag length you still need to do seat depth tests,,start as long as you can for 100% function and load .005 shorter shooting 3 shot groups at your best charge weight,,sometimes your most accurate load can be as much as .100 shorter than just loading as long as you can to fit your mags,,Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars shoot really well jumped,,and I shot the 250 Hornady BTHP in the 338LM I had from a magazine that was jumped almost .200 and shot well enough to hit 18inch plates at 1,500 yards,

I really like shooting PRS stuff just never shot in a match,,I shoot a Stiller Tac 30 action with 243 Win and 6.5x47L bbls in an AICS 1.5 with the spigot mounted Atlas bipod and 8-32 Sightron or 4.5-14 Leupold depending on how far the majority of shots will be,,

I am pretty good at makin 2nd round hits,,LOL

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,one Nation under God,indivisible,with liberty and justice for all
mr.big
Non-Typical

Postby infoman jr. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 pm

mr.big wrote:when loading to mag length you still need to do seat depth tests,,start as long as you can for 100% function and load .005 shorter shooting 3 shot groups at your best charge weight,,sometimes your most accurate load can be as much as .100 shorter than just loading as long as you can to fit your mags,,Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars shoot really well jumped,,and I shot the 250 Hornady BTHP in the 338LM I had from a magazine that was jumped almost .200 and shot well enough to hit 18inch plates at 1,500 yards,

I really like shooting PRS stuff just never shot in a match,,I shoot a Stiller Tac 30 action with 243 Win and 6.5x47L bbls in an AICS 1.5 with the spigot mounted Atlas bipod and 8-32 Sightron or 4.5-14 Leupold depending on how far the majority of shots will be,,

I am pretty good at makin 2nd round hits,,LOL

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/ericleonard/33980867-9183-44d6-8379-26c4cf50db5c.jpg[img]

That's the plan which is why I started at my max possible length.
infoman jr.
12 Point

Postby infoman jr. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Small update. I shot around one of the promising loads from last session and explored above book max of 43.3 a bit. I was glad to see the groups come together around 44. I'll do some 5-shot groups in tenth grain increments in that area next time out. My bench was very unsteady, so hopefully things will come together soon.

I also shot my first blackout loads of 208 ELD Match over 11.6 grains of CFE BLK. Accuracy was acceptable at 100 with my 3x ACOG. I'll go ahead and call that one good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
infoman jr.
12 Point

Previous

Return to Guns, Gunsmithing, Optics & Reloading