Great car notifications

Deer Whisperer

I love buying older cars with low mileage. It allows me to buy a nice car with cash and preserve my debt free status. I keep them until I find something else I want, (usually between 2 and 8 years), then sell them for just a little less than I paid for it.
Right now, I don't need another vehicle. I just bought a 1997 Camry with 52K miles for my wife.

Just in case I, or anyone else finds a special car, I will post it on this thread.
I will post the first one in just a minute.

LanceS4803

Have you ever run into a problem with older, low mileage cars having dried seals and gaskets? Just from lack of use?

Deer Whisperer

LanceS4803":2u2scmnt said:
Have you ever run into a problem with older, low mileage cars having dried seals and gaskets? Just from lack of use?
Great question. I'm sure it happens, but I have never had it happen to me. The worse was a VERY slow oil leak from a rear main seal. It was really no problem.
Sometimes, a maintenance item will need to be done because of age, not mileage. If a timing belt is original, it may be 15 to 20 years old, but only have 35K to 50K miles on it. If it's a car my wife will be driving, I will go ahead and replace it. If it's a non-interference engine, I will usually keep driving on the old belt.
Usually an older car does need some kind of small repair or maintenance done.
I may buy a car for $4K, put new tires on it, oil change, plus some other small maintenance thing and have a total of <$5K in it. I drive about 12K miles per year. I can drive that vehicle for a few or even several years and sell it for close to what I have in it.
The main thing is that I like to start out with a vehicle that has a track record of being durable and reliable.
If you buy an old turd with low miles, it may turn into a money pit.

Deer Whisperer

Chapman":3uz15eaq said:
How often do you think some of these low mileage cars have had the odometer turned back?
You can usually tell if it's real mileage. They still have that newer car look. The paint looks great. The upholstery still looks new, (especially the driver's seat). Check the floor mats or even the carpet under the floor mats. Even the gas and brake pedal should not have much wear. The gear shift knob should not be polished smooth.

Hitit9999

Can you just update this when you find vehicles like this? I'm looking for something like this. I coach baseball for a high school 30 minutes from my house, and the wear and tear on my 2002 F150, needs to slow down. Although its only got 162000 miles, I'm looking for something to drive back and forth. I'm 6'8" tall...so that Z would be like a cracker box lol...

Deer Whisperer

Hitit9999":2mkgu8ij said:
Can you just update this when you find vehicles like this? I'm looking for something like this. I coach baseball for a high school 30 minutes from my house, and the wear and tear on my 2002 F150, needs to slow down. Although its only got 162000 miles, I'm looking for something to drive back and forth. I'm 6'8" tall...so that Z would be like a cracker box lol...

Dang, 6'8"!
You may need a full size car, something like...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/ ... 61871.html

I usually buy something that is a bit older and less expensive, but this should be good.

The Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis twins are usually very reliable. Also the Lexus LS 400 and early LS430 should have enough age on them to be affordable.
But... I used to travel for work and I wanted a large reliable car for that.
In 2010, I bought a 1999 Lexus LS400 with 35K miles on it. It was pristine. It was in Los Angeles, and had never been in the rain until I was driving it. I paid $11K for it. I drove it until it had about 180K miles on it and sold it for about $5500. I put a lot of miles on it for business travel. Incredibly smooth car.

Deer Whisperer

I would also like to say that these cars I'm posting have not been vetted.
Maybe the car is exactly as the ad says, maybe they are hiding something.
Maybe price is fair, or it may be overpriced.
It's up to the buyer to make sure everything is good.

When I post a link, I'm just saying that the vehicle looks good at first glance. There isn't much way to tell for sure until you are looking at the physical car, not just photos.

Deer Whisperer

The larger old school cars are mostly originally owned by older people. It's more common to find an older luxury car with low miles, than the average commuter car owned by younger people. They are usually garaged for all those years.
Some luxury cars were well built and reliable. Some of them have too many expensive bells and whistles that break a lot.