• Advertisement

DIY Butchering

Do it yourself projects and how to's...

Re: DIY Butchering

Postby Omega » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:04 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:For summer sausage....what are yall's process? From what I'm gathering through searches from other threads......1) grind meat, 2) add seasonings, fat (if desired), appropriate amount of cure, 3) put in casings, 4) heat/smoke, 5) chill, 6) hang till dry, 7) vacuum seal

Is this the appropriate process? Anyone care to elaborate on specifics?
That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

1. Grind: I grind my venison into 5lb bags when I butcher my deer, I use two bags, and another 5 lbs pork to bind it 3:1 ratio or about 65-70% venison and 30% pork fat. The 1st grind was course (largest plate) so while still partially frozen I grind it again while adding the pork, then I place the entire thing into the mixer.

2. Mix: While mixing I gradually add the spices, not the cheese or jalapenos at this time. once mixed thoroughly I seperate into 3lb batches.

3. Additions: I separate the cheese and jalapenos into five batches and hand mix them into the 3lb batches of sausage to make sure of even distribution. I've tried adding the cheese and jalapeno while mixing the entire thing but wasn't happy with how much cheese and jalapeno ended up in each log, still tasty though.

4. Stuff: I add 3lbs into my vertical stuffer and stuff into logs, using hog rings to seal each log. I then leave in the fridge overnight to cure.

5. Smoking: Next day I Smoke at 140F for 1 about an hour, then raise it to 160F for another hour and then 180F until internal temperature reaches 152F. I use a thermostats with two thermocouples, one monitors the internal temp in the sausage and another the internal smoker temp. I find it better at keeping track of the smoker temp than the built in one on the smoker.

6. Cooling: Once the temp reaches 152F, I immediately drop into an ice bath, because it would keep cooking otherwise. I leave in the ice bath at least 30 minutes to an hour to make sure it is cooled through and through.

7. Bloom: After the ice bath, I hang for about an hour or two at room temp to let the sausage bloom. This is crucial to make sure the sausage skin doesn't wrinkle but that is only cosmetic. But it also makes the flavor better, and you can hang for a couple days if you like. I then place in the fridge for a couple days.

8. Freeze: Optional of course, as my summer sausage tends to go fast if I only make one batch (15 lbs). I cut the logs into thirds, about a lb each and then vacuum seal. Frozen summer sausage can last years, with no noticeable taste changes. I only accidently found this out when one log got lost at the bottom of my chest freezer.

Notes: During this whole process it's important to make sure the meat doesn't get too warm, so stick it in the fridge, use ice in freezer baggies etc to keep it cool while you setup, rinse/wash equipment from the previous or next step.
Pork fat, it is hard to find sometimes, especially when you want it. I have used Walmart ground pork, pork fat from Hampton Meats in Hopkinsville, sold in 50 lb boxes, get it early, or get their 1st cut pork chops if out. If those sources dry up, just get the cheapest fattiest pork you can get.

Equipment: Get what you can afford, but the better the faster you will find this process. My first batch I used a hand grinder to grind and stuff, took forever. I upgraded to a $50 grinder from Rural King, it works great, but you have to take it slow. I used this for one season, then came across a great deal on a used LEM, much much better and faster. The stuffer, I bought a hand cranked stuffer from Grandpa's, a local sporting goods and Ace hardware, it sucked, took it right back. Got a 5lb vertical stuffer from Cabelas (before BPS took over) and haven't looked back. The mixer works pretty good, also from Cabelas, took a bit to get used to it, had to bend the blades a bit as they hit when turning but now it works good and do recommend one. You can also use the grinder to mix as it does have a stuffer plate, or just hand mix it, I just didn't have a good flat service to hand mix 15 lbs but smaller batches get hand mixed.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
8 Point

Advertisement

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Perfect - thanks for putting the time in on that Omega! Will definitely be making a whole deer with this method. Appreciate all your info. Will keep you updated!
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby shirtshirt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:01 pm

I process my own - I watched youtube videos to understand the basics plus a little more. Anytime I question if I'm doing something right I remind myself that a 1000 years ago humans were using basic cutting tools, didn't have refrigeration, etc..... Your goal is to get the meat off the bone. The more the practice you have the prettier those cuts will look.
shirtshirt
4 Point

Postby Omega » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

I have had a couple of hunters come by and watch how I do mine, from field dress to quartering. I took it a bit further than normal to give them the best hands on experience, dang near stripped it clean.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
8 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Dang - you really get all of it
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby Omega » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:Dang - you really get all of it

Trying to keep the yotes and buzzards on a diet. :rotf:
~Pericles~
Omega
8 Point

Postby rmmonty32 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:49 am

Omega wrote:I have had a couple of hunters come by and watch how I do mine, from field dress to quartering. I took it a bit further than normal to give them the best hands on experience, dang near stripped it clean.
This makes me feel guilty. I need to do better.

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
rmmonty32
4 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:48 pm

rmmonty32 wrote:
Omega wrote:I have had a couple of hunters come by and watch how I do mine, from field dress to quartering. I took it a bit further than normal to give them the best hands on experience, dang near stripped it clean.
This makes me feel guilty. I need to do better.

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk

:rotf:

The same thought went through my head.
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Omega - I’m blaming you. I’ve spent a lot of time on Walton’s website this last week. That led to me making a $600 order to have all I need for making everything moving forward :moon:

JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby Omega » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:Omega - I’m blaming you. I’ve spent a lot of time on Walton’s website this last week. That led to me making a $600 order to have all I need for making everything moving forward :moon:

I'll be sure to let them know where to send my commission. :lol: :rotf:

But seriously, it is a good site, and their Meatgistics site has some great info and recipes.
https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/category/13/waltons-learning-center
~Pericles~
Omega
8 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 am

Omega wrote:
JCDEERMAN wrote:Omega - I’m blaming you. I’ve spent a lot of time on Walton’s website this last week. That led to me making a $600 order to have all I need for making everything moving forward :moon:

I'll be sure to let them know where to send my commission. :lol: :rotf:

But seriously, it is a good site, and their Meatgistics site has some great info and recipes.
https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/category/13/waltons-learning-center

:super:

I'll Keep you all updated once I get started making all this stuff. That is, if I can get some does on the ground. The only thing I've had in range this season are bucks. Can't get a doe in range for the life of me.
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself / Tips & Tricks