• Advertisement

Pond Aeration

Do it yourself projects and how to's...

Pond Aeration

Postby JCDEERMAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm

We have a pond we would like to add aeration to. Either solar or electric options. Not the waterfall type. We want to add oxygen and all the other benefits it provides. Also we do not want the pond to turnover again, killing most of the fish. Solar looks like it would be super expensive. We do not currently have electric run there, but have always thought about running it for lights at the dock. This is about 100 yards from our cabin.

The best I can find is to get a septic pump, a 50 foot weighted hose run out into the pond and then attach a diffuser.

Anyone have any ideas?
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Advertisement

Re: Pond Aeration

Postby Omega » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Have you considered windmill versions, don't know your budget but seems it is worth it to run day or night and no power to worry about.
12' ones are on sale, $1695
https://outdoorwatersolutions.com/products/windmill-aeration-systems/galvanized-traditional-windmill/
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
6 Point

Postby Shanman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:42 pm

So you do not have power run to the pond, but is there power at the cabin? If not, how far from the closest line?
Shanman
8 Point

Postby catman529 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 pm

If you were already thinking about running power to the pond, sounds like an even better excuse to bite the bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby JCDEERMAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 pm

We do have power at the cabin. It is up on top of a ridge and the pond is directly below it in a hollow. We rented a ditch-witch several years ago and ran a pipe down there for water into the pond from the well up top at the cabin. It was so rocky, half the pipe is above ground due to not getting deep enough and erosion over the years.

If I knew the well wouldn’t run out, I’d run it constantly just for some added oxygen. Being that it’s so rocky, not sure how running electric down there would work (that’s not my expertise).

The windmill idea looks a little pricey and I wouldn’t imagine there would be enough wind down there in the bottom. A $500 septic pump should work, just need power down there. I’ve been looking at the HIBLOW pumps...it just pumps air into the water.

Thanks for the comments...keep them coming
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby Shanman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:34 am

Have you checked into how much it would be to run another span of wire down to the pond? Have someone come out from the power company and price it out. By having a pole and transformer at the dock you could now have several outlets and not be worried with load issues. Add a private light on the pole for a small monthly charge and you would be set. I would do as Catman suggested and bite the bullet, less headache and expenses down the road.
Shanman
8 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 am

I’ll probably do that. Out of curiosity, do most power companies give free estimates? Sure would be nice to light the place up down there and have good aeration for the health of the fish. If power is installed, any options other than the septic pump idea?

Thanks, guys!
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Postby X-Tennessean » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:I’ll probably do that. Out of curiosity, do most power companies give free estimates? Sure would be nice to light the place up down there and have good aeration for the health of the fish. If power is installed, any options other than the septic pump idea?

Thanks, guys!

It all depends on the utility as they are all different. We will come out and quote the job whether it be just material or our crews doing the work. I would look into as it would be an easy answer BUT I would also look into doing it myself! You can buy 20',30' poles from most lumber yards or if height is not an issue you could just go with a 6x6 post but in my experience a 20' round 8-10" post is cheaper and will last longer. Check your panel and see if you have the space to add a breaker in your cabin service panel.
If you do I would just buy the pole, the wire from local hardware store and run it myself!! Also check with surrounding utility companies on used poles......we give them away just to keep us from having to cut them up and put in a roll off dumpster!!
I get a bunch of them myself and cut up for fence post! lol

As far as using a pump once you get electric, I would also look into agitators/mixers that most duck hunters are using now days!
I will find some links for you to give you a reference. We have used a generator and a 2" sump pump in our duck hole just to keep the water open during a hard freeze until the Ice Eaters came along!
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/mvo-ice-eater-combo

I am not sure how much D.O. (dissolved oxygen) they will actually put in the water tho. As far as using a pump that just blows air, there is a little more to take into consideration. You actually want some sort of diffuser that will produce SMALL bubbles and not huge rolling bubbles. With huge rolling bubbles you actually lose all the D.O. to the atmosphere because they are so buoyant they immediately go straight to the top of the water column and "pop" releasing the oxygen where as a diffuser will produce small bubbles that will disperse throughout the water column.
X-Tennessean
8 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the info!

I'll check around for poles and I think we know someone that could do it.

As for the diffuser - yes that is a must for sure. I will handle that and everything else, except the electric. Thanks for the input!
JCDEERMAN
16 Point

Return to Do It Yourself / Tips & Tricks