• Advertisement

Home Made Deer feeders !!

Do it yourself projects and how to's...

Re: Home Made Deer feeders !!

Postby Mike Belt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 am

I built a simple covered trough type gravity feeder for the back yard. It worked great but I was spending $400+/month for corn. It was neat watching the deer feed 40 yards from my back door but they like to broke me. I quit.
Mike Belt
18 Point

Advertisement

Postby ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Mike Belt wrote:I built a simple covered trough type gravity feeder for the back yard. It worked great but I was spending $400+/month for corn. It was neat watching the deer feed 40 yards from my back door but they like to broke me. I quit.

Mike,did they come right to it,or was they skeptical of it.
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
18 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:44 am

Bulldog, I would like to build a couple of those feeders and get them out soon.

About how much corn will that setup hold and how long will the corn last? I just live too far away from my spot and have to hike too far carrying the corn to fill them more than twice.

Can I set one up closer to my parking area and near field edges to get same results? My intent is to see what bucks maybe making some of these rubs.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (147.53 KiB) Viewed 923 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 923 times
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby Hunter 257W » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Pic IN the Casa wrote:Hey FD- what do you do about rain? Are your feeders covered somehow? I saw a similar design on, believe it or not, an episode of Finding Bigfoot and wondered what the guy did about wet corn and it potentially molding.

I have made several out of large PVC too and just as I was congratulating myself on saving so much money, it rained and all of a sudden I had a bunch of moldy corn that had to be thrown out. :( My cheapo solution was not to try to cover the corn but to drill holes in the bottom of the pipe elbow so water could drain out. I used a bunch of .25inch holes which work great - but only if you hold the feeder up off the ground so the holes don't clog with dirt. So I made a cheapo wood frame out of 2"x2"'s that is basically just a rectangle which the PVS sits on and it's sized so that the PVC can't drop down into it but is held up an inch or so off the ground. It works great. And if some peckerwood steals it, you don't get so irritated as if it were a store bought deal.
Hunter 257W
14 Point

Postby Lost_dawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

FULLDRAWXX75 wrote:I am in the middle of making a few now,(new design) using PVC 3" or 4" builders choice.

material list:

1 - 6' length of pipe
1 - 16" length of pipe
1 - 45 deg. elbow
2 - end caps (same size as pipe)

I am using small screws to assemble to avoid the smell factor of the PVC glue.

Just a quick drawing to show how to assemble, the 45* elbow allows the feed to flow down the pipe, and the cap on the end of the 16" pipe controls spillage and stops the feed from just pouring out the pipe.

Hope this is useful

FDXX75

PS: I am using 4" pipe to allow for a larger opening at the bottom, also cut the bottom cap in half and you can get 2 feeders out of 3 caps.

So I finally broke down and made 2 of these and I have noticed a problem. The corn doesn't fill up the hole. It just keeps flowing. Any suggestions on how to stop the flow? I'll try to add a picture
Lost_dawg
4 Point

Postby diamond hunter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Screw a couple screws in the pipe to slow it down at the end.
diamond hunter
8 Point

Postby RobbyW » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 pm

FULLDRAWXX75 wrote:I am in the middle of making a few now,(new design) using PVC 3" or 4" builders choice.

material list:

1 - 6' length of pipe
1 - 16" length of pipe
1 - 45 deg. elbow
2 - end caps (same size as pipe)

I am using small screws to assemble to avoid the smell factor of the PVC glue.

Just a quick drawing to show how to assemble, the 45* elbow allows the feed to flow down the pipe, and the cap on the end of the 16" pipe controls spillage and stops the feed from just pouring out the pipe.

Hope this is useful

FDXX75

PS: I am using 4" pipe to allow for a larger opening at the bottom, also cut the bottom cap in half and you can get 2 feeders out of 3 caps.

I made some of these. I just drilled small drain holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RobbyW
8 Point

Postby Lost_dawg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:54 pm

diamond hunter wrote:Screw a couple screws in the pipe to slow it down at the end.

Thanks for the input. I actually cut my slot out further up closer to the 45 and think I cut a little larger than 6 inch opening. If the screws don't work I will just start over.....lol
Lost_dawg
4 Point

Postby Mike Belt » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Rough... I sprinkled a little corn around on the ground near my feeder the first time I loaded it and within 24 hours there'd be as many as 18 deer standing around it feeding. I'd load 6-8 bags of corn in it at a time and in 5-6 days it was gone. Like I said, neat having deer any time of day 40 yards from my chair on the back porch but I couldn't afford to keep it loaded. I also tried the PVC route in the timber but they don't hold much food. Between the coons, squirrels, birds, and deer eating from them they emptied quick. I also have tried a barrel set up on a tripod with a timer. Strangely enough, I've never had any luck with it on deer but the turkeys loved it.
Mike Belt
18 Point

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself / Tips & Tricks