• Advertisement

Wanting a kayak

If it floats, talk about it here.

Wanting a kayak

Postby DennyB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm 65 years old and have never put a foot in a kayak. I wade fish streams and rivers in middle and east Tn but I'm looking for a way to fish those parts of the rivers that are too deep for me to wade. I'm really thinking of a pedal kayak to keep my hands free to fish.

The kayaks I've researched on-line that interest me are the Coosa FD, Cruise FD, Old Town Topwater w/pedal drive, and Titan 10.5. If anyone has any insight on any of these or any other brand or model for my intended purpose, I would welcome some recommendations.
DennyB
Spike

Advertisement

Re: Wanting a kayak

Postby MickThompson » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm

I have no direct experience with the specific boats you mention, but I've paddled a Coose and a Cruise. I'd imagine we have fished the same water at some point or another. The thing that would turn me off to the pedal driven rigs is their draft- the most expensive part of the boat sticks a foot or more below the bottom of the boat. If you don't bail out quick on a shoal you could ding it or possibly hit something with it and flip.

I have no problem fishing with a kayak paddle. Hit a stroke or 2, lay the paddle across your lap, then fish.It's not in the way and always handy. With practice you'll be able to handle the paddle one handed as well for small adjustments. Get an anchor trolley too so you can slow/stop your drift. You'll still spend most of your fishing time outside of the boat so keep that in mind.

Personally I prefer a solo canoe. I grew up in canoes and the kayaks I have paddled didn't have much glide like a canoe does. They are definitely squirrelier than a wide fishing kayak.
MickThompson
10 Point

Return to Watercraft