• Advertisement

Kayak Question

If it floats, talk about it here.

Kayak Question

Postby Displaced_Vol » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 pm

Here’s a question I haven’t found much online about- anybody ever tried or had a kayak hydro dipped?
I bought a used kayak a couple years ago, it’s a vibe with their “orange/camo” paint job-
I bought it for fishing and access while duck hunting. Meaning, I never planned to hunt out of the kayak, just use it to access a site then hide/stash the kayak while hunting. End of this duck season found us hunting backwater that was far too deep to get out of the boat. I tried covering the brighter parts of the kayak with some old blind material, it worked OK.

Got to thinking it would really be better to have it drab or camo. I have heard the kayak material is very tough to paint, so I wondered if anyone had ever tried to have one dipped the way gun stocks are being done?
Displaced_Vol
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Kayak Question

Postby MickThompson » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Roto molded plastic is notoriously slick. I’d either trade/sell and get a tan boat or be happy with burlap. Hydrographics have to stick too and who has a 14’ tank for it, never mind what it would cost to do it when you consider what a gun costs to dip and how much less surface area a gun has.
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby Displaced_Vol » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Good points and sort of what I figured.

Need to use this to get a newer, bigger, better kayak, right??
Displaced_Vol
4 Point

Postby tree_ghost » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Flyway camo netting is cheap and packs easily...I use it to cover my kayak when storing it during hunting hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.” Gen 27:3
tree_ghost
12 Point

Postby Cottontop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Maybe have it wrapped like a bass boat.
"You Can't Catch Em If Your Bug Ain't In The Water!"
Cottontop
6 Point

Postby Dbllunger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:20 pm

Is it possible to use a fine grit sandpaper (100 or 200 grit) on the hull to create some roughness for the paint to stick to?
Dbllunger
14 Point

Postby Grnwing » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:10 pm

YES- use the sand paper, start with something pretty course to rough up the deck and then go down to a finer grit. I have done this on the polyethylene (plastic) kayaks numerous times. It will work but will require some touch-ups along the way. Do not bother sanding the hull, yea it looks ugly but are you trying to kill ducks or win a beauty pageant. Depending on where you are hunting, you can also add some small diameter bungee rope to fasten natural cover to the deck and that can help break up the profile. I worked in the canoe and kayak industry and had access to a lot of demo/blem boats and could try a lot of different things. Good luck
Grnwing
4 Point

Return to Watercraft