Duke dog proof traps

JCDEERMAN

Anyone use them? I just bought a dozen of them for trapping coons, opossums and whatever else invades turkey nests I can catch. I've heard dog food, fruit loops, marshmallows work well for bait.

Any other type bait they can't resist?

For those who have these traps, have you been pleased with their effectiveness?

Thanks in advance!

CATCHDAWG

Mine are Bridgers, same difference. I use them a lot and they work great. I put a little cat food in, just enough to cover the trigger with a couple drops of Caven's Moonshine lure on the lip of the trap, put a golf ball on top and your good to go. I hope you got a setting tool, it makes life much better!

ADR

CATCHDAWG":el08b2q7 said:
Mine are Bridgers, same difference. I use them a lot and they work great. I put a little cat food in, just enough to cover the trigger with a couple drops of Caven's Moonshine lure on the lip of the trap, put a golf ball on top and your good to go. I hope you got a setting tool, it makes life much better!

Just curious, what is the purpose of the golf ball?

CATCHDAWG

ADR":3jbol2ek said:
CATCHDAWG":3jbol2ek said:

The golf ball prevents mice/birds from getting into the trap and rain to a degree. Plus it's a great visual attractant.

ADR

CATCHDAWG":23dhxubl said:
ADR":23dhxubl said:
CATCHDAWG":23dhxubl said:

The golf ball prevents mice/birds from getting into the trap and rain to a degree. Plus it's a great visual attractant.

Thank you, I had no idea

Bobyote

They work great, I like a little coon lure on a stick. Also like a trail of mini marshmallows to it.

JCDEERMAN

Good thinking on the golf balls. I've heard of folks putting a solo cup upside down on them. Thanks guys...I'll let y'all know how it all works out

Andy S.

According to my buddy/coworker, they work too good. :)

cn6UH7Y.jpg

y0WxCwv.jpg

AllOutdoors

TX300mag":23dcgrmi said:
They work great. Marshmallows are my bait of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ This. A marshmallow is all you need for coons.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Andy S.

AllOutdoors":31y99wfz said:
TX300mag":31y99wfz said:
They work great. Marshmallows are my bait of choice.
^^^ This. A marshmallow is all you need for coons.
Guaranteed. That is all I use in my live traps when targeting coons. I think they can smell them from a mile away. Cheap bait that can be bought at about any dollar store.

Shanman

Mini Marshmallows is all I use. One tip for you that I believe is very important......make sure there is nothing within reach for the coon to grab ahold of, like tree roots on creek bank or small sapling in the woods. If a big boar can get leverage sometimes they can pull out of a weaker trap. If you are feeding your deer and the coon are coming in, don't just set 1 trap, set 3 or 4 about 15' apart. Hope you thin them egg eaters out!

JCDEERMAN

Shanman":2ydnj8cb said:
Mini Marshmallows is all I use. One tip for you that I believe is very important......make sure there is nothing within reach for the coon to grab ahold of, like tree roots on creek bank or small sapling in the woods. If a big boar can get leverage sometimes they can pull out of a weaker trap. If you are feeding your deer and the coon are coming in, don't just set 1 trap, set 3 or 4 about 15' apart. Hope you thin them egg eaters out!

Good tip! Didn't think about them getting leverage on something. I'll make sure to put them where they can't grab onto anything. Thanks, Shanman

TX300mag

Shanman":qzle69nz said:

Good point!

Don't forget to cable it to something SOLID, too. I learned that the hard way when one got away with a trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOHUNT

Been covered....Mini marshmallows! I too lost a trap to a coon that broke it loose from my anchor point. As an attractant I use imitation vanilla. Take the plastic lid off exposing the foil seal. Take a knife and barely prick the foil a couple places...instantly makes a very fine squirt bottle. Bait with marshmallows then spray a little vanilla around the trap as an attractant.

BTW, I've never caught a possum or anything besides a coon in these traps.