• Advertisement

Any CJ owners?

Hotrod, mud buggy, whatever. Talk about them here.

Any CJ owners?

Postby bigtex » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I had a CJ 5 back in the late 1970's, that old Jeep took me to places that I should of never been in but always brought me home. Back then I would "dare" it to get stuck. I would drive in 2 wheel high with the hubs locked until it would go no further then shift into 4 low second gear and keep on going. Of course I was a lot younger and dumber back in those days and thinking back I wonder how I survived.
I kept that old Jeep for several years but one day I drove by a car lot and saw a bright and shiny 1980 CJ 7 with a hard top. I stopped to get a closer look, it was nice!! Even had an automatic transmission!! The salesman came out and asked if I wanted to test drive it. That's all it took, I came back the next day and traded with him.
I liked the CJ 7 for awhile, the hard top was nice in the Winter, it sure made it warmer on those cold days whereas I would freeze in my old Jeep with the rag top.
But..........it just wasn't the same, I missed changing gears and missed that rag top. I vowed that someday I would own another CJ 5, but as usual, life got in the way and it seemed it would never happen.
Fast forward 30+ years, I was now retired, the house and land were paid off, I had a Wood Shop that kept me busy plus made me a few extra $$$$$. My priorities were changing, I had a safe full of firearms that never saw the light of day. I decided I would save my Wood Shop money and sell off a few guns that I no longer used and find another CJ 5. The search began. Old CJ's are still pretty easy to find and not too expensive, but the cheap ones were too far gone and the expensive ones were, well.........too expensive.
I finally found what I was looking for in December of last year, a 1980 CJ 5 with a manual 5 speed, the original 259 C.I. engine with a Dana 300 transfer case. And the price was right. Of course for the price I knew it needed a LOT of work. The floor boards were almost completely rusted out, it had rust holes in the body, the transfer case leaked like a sieve and it had no top.
I've worked on this Jeep almost non stop since December, I replaced the floor pans, cut and welded new sheet metal and fixed the holes in the body and replaced the output shaft seal in the transfer case, new top, new master cylinder, new clutch linkage, etc, etc. I Painted it last week and am please with my progress. It's a long way from being finished [they never are] it's far from being show quality, and it won't see any major off roading or rock crawling. It's a street Jeep plain and simple, but I can guarantee it'll go anyplace I want to go. [after I put some new tires on it]
Thanks for following along, here are a few pics............
Attachments
jimmy 3.jpg
jimmy 3.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 111 times
jimmy 2.jpg
jimmy 2.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 111 times
jimmy 1.jpg
jimmy 1.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 111 times
bigtex
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Any CJ owners?

Postby bigtex » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the before pic..........
Attachments
thumbnail_1202181433.jpg
thumbnail_1202181433.jpg (120 KiB) Viewed 109 times
bigtex
10 Point

Return to Vehicle talk