• Advertisement

whats the best pickup?

Hotrod, mud buggy, whatever. Talk about them here.

whats the best pickup?

Postby cashville » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi
Looking to buy a new pickup truck.
I like the Dodge RAM but heard it gives a transmission problem.
My requirements.
General use(no special towing needs)
luxury interior(love what the new RAM offers)
low maintaince

What do you guys think of the RAM and can you recommend a good pickup based on your experience.?
Cheers
Sam
cashville
Button
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Advertisement

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby RandyinTN » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Flip a coin. All the companies build trucks that will last a long time and they all build lemons.
Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, Nissan, etc
Much depends on personal tastes, what you need the truck to do, and your own finances.
RandyinTN
6 Point
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby huntinkev » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I am not so fond of chevys right now. I cannot recommend a GM. We have a 2016 in the shop right now that requires a new transmission...$4500. Truck has 115,000 miles on it. Last year we had a 2014 that we had to put a new transmission in at around 120,000. The year before that a 2013 with just over 100,000 had to have a transmission....to bear it all we have a 2017 with 39,000 miles that started shuttering Friday and I believe trans is acting up, at least it's still under warranty.

I am very upset with GM, and we have been driving Chevrolets for years, decades.

I am considering looking at another brand also. Chevrolet obviously has transmission problems..it's not just a truck, our last 3 chevrolets dating back to 2013 plus the newest 2017 all transmission problems 3 of the 4 just outside of the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. All over $4,000 for new trans

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
User avatar
huntinkev
10 Point
 
Posts: 4537
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Humphreys

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby Happysack » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 pm

I've been driving Rams for 20 plus years now and have never had any transmission problems. I currently have a 16 model Ram with 63,000 and a 18 model with 7,000 cant beat the Hemi power. I usually keep them till I get around 200,000 miles on them I pull trailers on a regular basis and have great luck with the Rams
Happysack
Spike
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby rem270 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I remember the Rams having transmission problems from the early 90's to the early 2000's. From what I hear and seen they have fixed the transmission problems. I'm not a Dodge fan and doubt I'd ever own one but did get one as a rental last year and it was very nice, and fast.
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
User avatar
rem270
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 30513
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:00 pm
Location: Northwest Tn/Russellville AR

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby huntinkev » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Happysack wrote:I've been driving Rams for 20 plus years now and have never had any transmission problems. I currently have a 16 model Ram with 63,000 and a 18 model with 7,000 cant beat the Hemi power. I usually keep them till I get around 200,000 miles on them I pull trailers on a regular basis and have great luck with the Rams
We are thinking of changing brands. Are you running 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton or what?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
User avatar
huntinkev
10 Point
 
Posts: 4537
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Humphreys

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby KyRick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm

RAM!!!! Anything after 2010, but especially the 2019, they are luxury all the way. I am on my 2nd Ram and other than normal mtce. never had any problems. You will LOVE the hemi.
KyRick
4 Point
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: Murfreesboro

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby Happysack » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Both of mine are 1/2 tons my camper is 7500 lbs empty and the 1/2 ton handles it fully loaded without a problem
Happysack
Spike
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby Gravey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm

RandyinTN wrote:Flip a coin. All the companies build trucks that will last a long time and they all build lemons.
Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, Nissan, etc
Much depends on personal tastes, what you need the truck to do, and your own finances.

What he said. I’m personally a Ford guy and have an 06 F250 but have always thought the F150 was the best looking truck on the road. Good luck!
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
User avatar
Gravey
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 26532
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Rutherford County

Re: whats the best pickup?

Postby double browtine » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:03 pm

huntinkev wrote:I am not so fond of chevys right now. I cannot recommend a GM. We have a 2016 in the shop right now that requires a new transmission...$4500. Truck has 115,000 miles on it. Last year we had a 2014 that we had to put a new transmission in at around 120,000. The year before that a 2013 with just over 100,000 had to have a transmission....to bear it all we have a 2017 with 39,000 miles that started shuttering Friday and I believe trans is acting up, at least it's still under warranty.

I am very upset with GM, and we have been driving Chevrolets for years, decades.

I am considering looking at another brand also. Chevrolet obviously has transmission problems..it's not just a truck, our last 3 chevrolets dating back to 2013 plus the newest 2017 all transmission problems 3 of the 4 just outside of the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. All over $4,000 for new trans

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I have to agree, as much as I hate too. Been a Chevy guy my whole life! I drive a 2001 suburban 4x4 with 225k miles. My transmission guy said these newer 6 and 8 speed transmissions are junk! I also have a 1997 Z71 with 300k. It's my trash and hunting truck. I did put a Jasper transmission in it at 130k.
For the price of new vehicles, I figure I can totally restore a high mileage vehicle with a history of reliability for a lot less than the cost of new one. Just like restoring an old hotrod. These newer vehicles are so computer controlled that the average person cannot even perform a basic tune up.
User avatar
double browtine
10 Point
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Cheatham/Montgomery County


Return to Vehicle talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests