• Advertisement

Joel Salatin/Polyface Farm

Joel Salatin/Polyface Farm

Postby TX300mag » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Joel announced a couple of days ago that they will begin shipping meats. I wasn’t expecting this, although their starting up production of soy-free broilers should’ve been a clue.

I’m way too nostalgic and sentimental that will let my principals be my ruin if I’m not careful, so I’m trying hard to be open-minded about this. Joel has long preached local food and is very effective at it, and most of us want to believe in the movement and what it stands for.

I’m really torn and don’t know what to think right now. I personally think the local, small-family farm movement is still on the upswing-but I could be seeing it all through lenses that help me find what I look for. On the other hand, if i could ship my products as the main source of sales I’d move my family to west TN and farm the land my great-grandfather did.

He’s definitely a gift to a lot of us. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, just not sure what all this means in yet big picture. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX300mag
16 Point

Advertisement

Re: Joel Salatin/Polyface Farm

Postby farmin68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Prior to reading the article, my best guess at Joel's explanation was he needed the extra sales volume to justify the high cost of running a USDA inspected slaughterhouse.

Reading that article was eye-opening. With the changes in the market, the way people shop, and the farm's distance from a population center (90 minutes from a city with a population in the 100k range, and 2 hours from metro Richmond's 1 million plus people), it sounds like he really had no choice if he was going to reverse the shrinking sales volume.

I believe there's still a lot of opportunity for marketing locally, but no producer with Joel's traditional local business model is going to move volume without a large pool of potential customers.
farmin68
16 Point

Re: Joel Salatin/Polyface Farm

Postby TX300mag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 am

I don’t fault him, I just wasn’t expecting ting it considering the local food movement he inspires. Even very recently he criticized this way of thinking and sold lots of books,speaking engagements, and tours making people think it can be done on the local scale.

I don’t buy that Polyface is struggling, but if it is none of us stand a chance, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX300mag
16 Point

Return to Livestock