• Advertisement

Elk Cape or bear rug suggestion

Talk about mounting stuff

Elk Cape or bear rug suggestion

Postby 'borohunter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:25 am

Taking my daughter elk hunting this fall in Colorado. Not sure we have a great chance but wanted to check if anyone can recommend someone in TN (preferably middle TN but willing to travel) that has done an elk cape or bear rug (for $100 makes sense to get a bear tag as well). Trying to do some leg work now before the season. Thanks.
'borohunter
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Elk Cape or bear rug suggestion

Postby gtk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

You will need to plan for this. You will not be able to just bring it back w/out prepping the hide. Chances are it will be warm enough to ruin it if you get one. Have plenty of non-iodized salt on hand to salt the cape as soon as you can.

An elk cape is a big hunk of fur. Twice, I've brought one back with me with intentions of tanning.
gtk
10 Point

Postby 'borohunter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Agreed - I wanted to check with the taxidermist to see what needs to be done with the cape for best results.
'borohunter
6 Point

Postby 'borohunter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Barring any recommendations of a taxidermist (still looking for one). Any suggestions on additional steps of care for the cape? i.e. make sure to also do the following...? or don't ever do... I find I learn from either my mistakes or someone else's. Prefer to learn from someone else's this time around if possible. :)
'borohunter
6 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 am

If you are paying someone to tan it, then i think that you will just need to salt it good.

when caping it, get as much meat/fat off as possible, but don't cut thru the hide. the skin around the neck is very think, but some areas are thin..

More than likely, a taxidermist will just send it off to get tanned (depending on what you want) .

i'm not a "taxidermist/tanner" but i've tanned a few hides myself. This year (hopefully) i am just goin to send mine off to this place: http://www.rockymountaintanners.com/ . Not a bad price for the amount of work that goes in
gtk
10 Point

Return to Taxidermy