• Advertisement

Bait recommendations

Tennessee Fishing

Bait recommendations

Postby Kilby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 pm

Getting more into bass fishing trying to build up a good selection of lures / baits ... what is your favorites for all kinds of bass even striped bass
Kilby
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Bait recommendations

Postby RUGER » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 am

Whacky worm, rigged with an O ring and a 5/0 gamakatsu
Pffft forget that, I'm going fishing.
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby Rakkin6 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 am

I would get a couple football head jigs, poppers and spinners for spring. Have had luck with frogs and buzzbaits also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Aim Small Miss Small
"DE OPPRESSO LIBER"
Rakkin6
4 Point

Postby cbhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Lizzards, flukes, and other soft plastics in June bug, watermelon seed, pumpkin seed. There are many other great colors but as long as I have those three, I know I can catch fish if they are biting
cbhunter
16 Point

Postby Kilby » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:33 pm

So far I have pretty much everything mentioned covered except the flukes I’m out at the moment
Kilby
6 Point

Postby Rakkin6 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm

I had luck last weekend on LBL using a Ned rig. Was tearing them up under the bridge by Paris Landing

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Aim Small Miss Small
"DE OPPRESSO LIBER"
Rakkin6
4 Point

Postby Volbuck777 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Watermelon seed brush Hogg second to none.
Volbuck777
4 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:20 pm

If I could only fish 1 lure for the next year it would be a 7.5 inch Culprit red shad worm. Close second would be Zoom baby brush hog in green pumpkin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby WTM » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 pm

lots of good baits already mentioned but in early winter/late winter/early spring, youd better have an assortment of jerk baits and cranks(square bills and something similar to series 3,4 and 5) that will run from anywhere in 3ft to 10ft depths. also good to have some lipless cranks to pull through grass and they also work during the bluegill pattern.

shad or silver color on the jerkbaits and shad and especially crawfish on the cranks in the late winter/early spring.

a lot depends also on the lake you are fishing, ie has a lot of grass and natural cover or lots of hard structure and shellbeds. do some research for your lakes and see what works best for the seasonal patterns for your lake(s).
WTM
14 Point

Postby Kilby » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Spurhunter wrote:If I could only fish 1 lure for the next year it would be a 7.5 inch Culprit red shad worm. Close second would be Zoom baby brush hog in green pumpkin.

Do you Texas rig then or what’s your preferred method? I try fishing with soft baits but honestly can’t remember doing any good with them still try everytime I’m out though
Kilby
6 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Kilby wrote:
Spurhunter wrote:If I could only fish 1 lure for the next year it would be a 7.5 inch Culprit red shad worm. Close second would be Zoom baby brush hog in green pumpkin.

Do you Texas rig then or what’s your preferred method? I try fishing with soft baits but honestly can’t remember doing any good with them still try everytime I’m out though
Yes, I Texas rig those. I use a regular worm hook for the worm and a wide gap hook for the baby brush hog. Typically when I Carolina rig I use a lizard for what ever reason.

Ruger is right about the wacky rig. It is, perhaps, the most effective presentation for numbers to come along in years. Any stick bait will do. He uses a much larger hook than I do, though. I use the VMC Weedless Neko hook in 2/0.Image

Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby Kilby » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Spurhunter wrote:
Kilby wrote:

Yes, I Texas rig those. I use a regular worm hook for the worm and a wide gap hook for the baby brush hog. Typically when I Carolina rig I use a lizard for what ever reason.

Ruger is right about the wacky rig. It is, perhaps, the most effective presentation for numbers to come along in years. Any stick bait will do. He uses a much larger hook than I do, though. I use the VMC Weedless Neko hook in 2/0.Image

I have some 2/0 weed less and 1/0 wacky hooks for wacky rig that’s the only way I’ve caught on soft plastic
Kilby
6 Point

Postby larry ipock » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 am

Get some jigs in shad and crawfish patterns
larry ipock
8 Point

Postby NumberOne » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:11 am

What type of water are you fishing? Might be able to narrow down the choices.
NumberOne
Spike

Postby pockets » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am

Green pumpkin chatterbait.
pockets
6 Point

Postby Crow Terminator » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:16 am

It's easy to spend a lot of money on stuff you'll never use in fishing...or use more than a few casts. Everyone eventually finds a comfort goto bait or baits and tend to stick with those. My dad is an avid bass fishermen. I am not fond of bass fishing. It amazes me at the baits he has. He has a whole indoor garage where he can park his boat and truck...and the walls are literally filled from top to bottom of bass baits. Soft plastics in unopened packs, spinnerbaits hanging on hooks, cases upon cases of crankbaits and terminal tackle. I've been in fishing tackle stores that didn't have as much stuff as he has lol. But in his boat...his goto stuff is all that ever goes with him. Usually that's one rod with a white/chartreuse spinnerbait, one with a topwater frog, and one with a dropshot rig soft plastic bait. That's his confidence baits.

For me...for bass fishing I could do with 2 lure types. Give me a 1/2 oz lipless crankbait in a few colors, and a Senko type soft plastic. I would be good to go. Of course I suck at it but that's another topic.
Crow Terminator
16 Point

Postby Kilby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Crow Terminator wrote:It's easy to spend a lot of money on stuff you'll never use in fishing...or use more than a few casts. Everyone eventually finds a comfort goto bait or baits and tend to stick with those. My dad is an avid bass fishermen. I am not fond of bass fishing. It amazes me at the baits he has. He has a whole indoor garage where he can park his boat and truck...and the walls are literally filled from top to bottom of bass baits. Soft plastics in unopened packs, spinnerbaits hanging on hooks, cases upon cases of crankbaits and terminal tackle. I've been in fishing tackle stores that didn't have as much stuff as he has lol. But in his boat...his goto stuff is all that ever goes with him. Usually that's one rod with a white/chartreuse spinnerbait, one with a topwater frog, and one with a dropshot rig soft plastic bait. That's his confidence baits.

For me...for bass fishing I could do with 2 lure types. Give me a 1/2 oz lipless crankbait in a few colors, and a Senko type soft plastic. I would be good to go. Of course I suck at it but that's another topic.

I’m trying to use as many types and styles of fishing instead of relying on just one for no other reason than to say I did it, I know a few guys as serious as your dad is and that’s not for me
Kilby
6 Point

Return to TN Fishing