• Advertisement

Cold weather fishing

Tennessee Fishing

Cold weather fishing

Postby J.W.308 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.
J.W.308
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Cold weather fishing

Postby KyRick » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:02 pm

I have not been in a couple of week due to the Holidays, travel and illness. But I will be heading out one day this week, waiting on the water to clear up and the flow to slow down a bit. I live near Chickamauga, the bigger fish for the year will be caught between now and the spring spawn. It can be hit or miss but when it is good it is very good.
KyRick
4 Point

Postby Crow Terminator » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:03 pm

I have grown to like it way more than summer time fishing.

When I first started getting into fishing heavy, the general consensus was...fishing is SLOW during the cold and you have to downsize baits, barely move them, etc. What people have discovered is...some of the best fishing of the year is from fall right on through very early spring. No pleasure craft on the water. The last decade or so it seems more people have figured out how good the fishing can be in the winter. Use to, you would have the lake and ramps to yourself. Now more fishermen are out there. Hardest parts on TVA lakes is finding suitable ramps to launch from with the winter draw down and the constant fluctuations in water level and current. Some days are absolute smash fests and then you can go the next day and not have a bite.
Crow Terminator
16 Point

Postby TRIGGER » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Winter fishing is the best. Always wear PFD and never go alone. Besides that fish some of the same baits you do in the summer but maybe slow down a touch. I love throwing an A-rig,jig,spinnerbait,swimbait carolina rig,steel shad and others. The fish are typically deep.
TRIGGER
14 Point

Postby WTM » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

“cold weather” is kind of a relative term. water temp is the key, the time of year and the pattern for that time of year on a particular body of water. on KY lake in jan, feb and march some spots of the lake will warm to 50 deg by mid day/afternoon. key places to check are deeper creek mouth points on up into the back points around mid feb when they start a pre-spawn pattern. south facing with some type of rock and deeper water nearby will heat the water up and the bait will hold there. series 3, jerk baits and rolling spinner baits work well and sometimes jigs. a-rigs can work very well if you can throw them.

when temps get down to mid 40’s and below is a whole different scenario. you just about have to put it in their face in deeper water. drop shot, jigs and blade baits fished real slow works well.
WTM
12 Point

Postby Chaneylake » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm

J.W.308 wrote:Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.

Not a bass fisherman but have caught a ton of crappie in January when Hatchie River is not in the ox bow lakes. Light color jig 3 to 4 feet deep on lakes at Chaney. The lakes at Chaney are not very deep. They probably don't average 8 feet deep on normal water
Don't piss down my back and tell me its rain, Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales

Having you along is like losing 2 good men

You do not have permission to view the attached photos
Chaneylake
16 Point

Postby RUGER » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 am

Chaneylake wrote:
J.W.308 wrote:Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.

Not a bass fisherman but have caught a ton of crappie in January when Hatchie River is not in the ox bow lakes. Light color jig 3 to 4 feet deep on lakes at Chaney. The lakes at Chaney are not very deep. They probably don't average 8 feet deep on normal water

You need to post the ice fishing picture. :D
Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby bluball » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 pm

RUGER wrote:
Chaneylake wrote:

BurrImage

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
bluball
4 Point

Postby Daniel90 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 pm

bluball wrote:
RUGER wrote:
Chaneylake wrote:[quote="J.W.308"]Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.

BurrImage

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk[/quote]i like this guy. I absolutely love fishing in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daniel90
4 Point

Return to TN Fishing