Smokeless Rem 700 build or a 45/70 build

Smokeless

lungpuncher1

I'm stuck. Im going to get into smokeless but I'm stuck on which direction to go. I have a 700 action im going to buy. My delima is im not sure if i should build a cheaper gun out of a cva scout 45/70 for my first smokeless gun and sit the 700ml back for later. To make sure i like it. Which I'm sure i will but i still feel uneasy about jumping in full force right off the bat.

Does everyone that's built a 45/70 conversion feel confident out to 200-250? Do you regret not building a 700 sml?

I'm torn on what to do. Any help here? Haha

Rubberduck270

Having had both, I decided I could live without the 700 and sold it. Still have the H&R conversion (my original smokeless gun). Biggest advantage a 700 build has over a conversion rifle is the quality of the barrel. Conversions can be a little "iffy" on barrel quality. That being said though, I've yet to build a H&R conversion gun that wouldn't shoot under an inch at 100 yrds.

If 250 yrds is as far as you'll ever shoot, I'd build a 45-70 and put the savings towards a good scope and loading supplies.

lungpuncher1

Rubberduck270":1psxr6gb said:
Having had both, I decided I could live without the 700 and sold it. Still have the H&R conversion (my original smokeless gun). Biggest advantage a 700 build has over a conversion rifle is the quality of the barrel. Conversions can be a little "iffy" on barrel quality. That being said though, I've yet to build a H&R conversion gun that wouldn't shoot under an inch at 100 yrds.

If 250 yrds is as far as you'll ever shoot, I'd build a 45-70 and put the savings towards a good scope and loading supplies.
I may just do that and keep the 700ml for if i do decide to build another one. 250 is all ill realistically use the gun for. I like to kill deer, not a big target guy.

lungpuncher1

Andy S.":aeawa5lz said:
Rubberduck270":aeawa5lz said:
Ditto. I just had a Scout V2 converted, should be taking it to the range here soon.
Keep me posted. Exactly what I'm going to do. Are you shooting sabotless because of the brake?

lungpuncher1

Just ordered a scout v2 from cabelas. Says backordered 3-4 weeks. Can't wait to get it and get going.

I think I'm going to try the 275gr or 250gr parker BE first considering i shouldn't have to size them.

lungpuncher1

Roost 1":13p7qj8p said:
You need to contact Carlos at eds gunshop in NC.... The gun will be converted when it reaches your door. Much simpler that way.
Well crap. I already ordered it. Do to have his number? Maybe i can cancel my order in time and go with him.

Jcalder

lungpuncher1":3aui90z7 said:
Jcalder":3aui90z7 said:
I would love one of those CVAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll keep this thread going and show progress on it. Maybe it will get you to get one haha
the only thing holding me back is having a little one due in a couple weeks lol. But I'll gladly follow your experiences until I can afford one

lungpuncher1

Jcalder":r734tzeh said:
lungpuncher1":r734tzeh said:
Jcalder":r734tzeh said:

I'll keep this thread going and show progress on it. Maybe it will get you to get one haha
the only thing holding me back is having a little one due in a couple weeks lol. But I'll gladly follow your experiences until I can afford one

I'm newly married so I'll be going through that soon one day id say.

My only undecided aspect of the build is if im going to get a 209 ignition system or get jeff hankins to put his lrp system in.

Jcalder

lungpuncher1":1c7jxxzm said:
Jcalder":1c7jxxzm said:
lungpuncher1":1c7jxxzm said:
Jcalder said:

I'm newly married so I'll be going through that soon one day id say.

My only undecided aspect of the build is if im going to get a 209 ignition system or get jeff hankins to put his lrp system in.
that would be one my questions as well. One is fairly cheaper than the other. Is the added cost worth it. What is gained or lost with the different systems. And with the muzzlebrake I'm guessing they are going sabotless but is the there anything special to do with the bullet.

lungpuncher1

I'm going to shoot 250gr parker be bullets. They don't have to be sized for cva guns according to what I've read.

Most likely going to start off with imr 4198 and see how it goes. Im a deer killer, not a paper puncher so a good group at 100 and 200 yards is good with me. Anything better is just extra.

Everyone ive talked to other than jeff hankins says a correctly installed 209 system is better for a break open gun than LRP system. Plus i have a crap load of cci 209 primers lol

Latest posts