• Advertisement

Clean barrel and cheap scope woes

In, outs, dos and don'ts of smokeless front stuffers.

Clean barrel and cheap scope woes

Postby fairchaser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 am

I thought it would be a good idea before the season starts here in the CWD zone to get out the smokeless and give the barrel a good scrubbing. I’ve got this sweet’s 7.62 solvent I use on my precision rifle and I got it spanky clean. I then took it to the range and the first shot was high and right. About what I figured since I had moved the scope in the rings a little. Made the scope adjustment and let the second shot fly. It hit low and left. Now I’m scratching my head. So I load it up without changing anything and it hits high. The fourth shot hits in the same group high so I make the adjustment and the next shot also hits in the same group even after adjustment to the scope. The next shot hits just to the right of the bull as does the next. I make a small scope adjustment and the last shot has the same POI as the others. Out of loads now.

This was starting to feel like the old smoke pole days and the reason for going smokeless in the first place. I haven’t been back to the range yet. My last few shots were only 3/4 inch off the bull but the whole thing has me scratching my head.

I’m guessing that it took 2-3 shots to foul my bore and that my cheap Nikon scope was not tracking well or had to go through a recoil to make the adjustment. Anyone have any advice?
fairchaser
12 Point

Advertisement

Re: Clean barrel and cheap scope woes

Postby GMB54 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 am

Cant help other than to say MidwayUSA has some DiamondBack HP 4x16s for $200 and a couple Vipers on sale for just under $250 if you want to try a new scope.
GMB54
6 Point

Postby fairchaser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 am

GMB54 wrote:Cant help other than to say MidwayUSA has some DiamondBack HP 4x16s for $200 and a couple Vipers on sale for just under $250 if you want to try a new scope.

That Nikon is supposed to be a $300 scope but I’m disappointed with the adjustment. It does hold zero fine and is clear. I did try to bump it some after adjustment but I guess it needs a harder kick. I usually buy better scopes but this one came with the gun.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby Matador » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:41 am

I would recheck tightness of screws where you repositioned scope. I always heard that if rifle and scope sat for an extended period of time that the crosshair may not move precisely with an adjustment thus your theory of one shot of recoil to make the adjustment. I don't know if this statement is valid or not. I usually tap the scope with my fist couple times after making adjustment. I usually sight in at 25 yard first and then move to 100 yards and fire a three shot group and make adjustment and let cool before shooting again. It might be your scope but myself I would try again before tossing it. My smokeless Encore has a Nikon on it and so far no problems. Good luck.
Matador
14 Point

Postby fairchaser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Matador wrote:I would recheck tightness of screws where you repositioned scope. I always heard that if rifle and scope sat for an extended period of time that the crosshair may not move precisely with an adjustment thus your theory of one shot of recoil to make the adjustment. I don't know if this statement is valid or not. I usually tap the scope with my fist couple times after making adjustment. I usually sight in at 25 yard first and then move to 100 yards and fire a three shot group and make adjustment and let cool before shooting again. It might be your scope but myself I would try again before tossing it. My smokeless Encore has a Nikon on it and so far no problems. Good luck.

Thanks Matador! After my last outing, I noticed the scope had slide back against the rings. After I checked the rings, the screws were not as tight as I prefer. This was before the last outing so I repositioned and tightened everything down real good. I’m hesitant to locktight rings although I usually locktight the base screws. But, these rings only have one screw per side. Some have three and most have two. One just seems inadequate to me for something that gets a lot of recoil. Also, every scope I’ve ever adjusted responded immediately with any change. I’ve seen people go past the adjustment then come back, like 4 forward, two back. Next time I’ll look through the scope while adjusting to see if the horizontal crosshairs move. I’ll either get better rings or locktight these. If it happened once, it will happen again.
fairchaser
12 Point

Return to Smokeless muzzleloader talk