• Advertisement

Who is ready?

Lets grow some stuff.

Who is ready?

Postby JBell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:18 pm

After getting late season pics of some real nice up and comers, I can not wait to get my food plots started. Gonna put in some chicory this go round to try and give the herd some good nutrition. I also have some corn and beans going in as well. Anyone around here ever hunted standing beans late season? Wondering if it woukd be better to plant with something else in the fall or leave them.
JBell
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Who is ready?

Postby diamond hunter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am

Corn and beans mixed
diamond hunter
8 Point

Postby MickThompson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am

Leave the beans standing and top sow a cool season mix into the standing beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby hatch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm hoping to put in a acre of clover this spring, kinda leaning toward white, but may do a mix white and red.
hatch
Spike

Postby Grnwing » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am

Late season beans are great! They hit mine pretty hard from November on, I broadcast wheat over the beans in October and will have a nice wheat plot throughout the spring. Also row plant RR corn in close proximity to my RR beans and it has held deer all season. The beans will definitely draw in the deer and are easier to grow compared to corn. As far as mixing corn and beans, I have not tried it but read that you will have a lower yield of both when planted together, and ultimately you are looking to maximize your yield so you may want to keep them separate but you can rotate your fields to better utilize soil nutrients. I want my plots to have big full ears of corn and plump pods of beans.
Grnwing
4 Point

Postby JBell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

I’m not mixing the seeds. They will be planted separately. Just wondering if I should leave the beans standing or cut and replant with something different from n October.
JBell
4 Point

Postby Grnwing » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 am

If you get good pod production over the summer, i would definitely leave the beans standing and overseed with wheat in October once the leaves on the beans start falling off. After the leaves fall on the beans, I will try and wait to broadcast right before a rain.
Grnwing
4 Point

Return to Food Plots