• Advertisement

Late season plot?

Lets grow some stuff.

Late season plot?

Postby poorhunter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 pm

This question won’t be for this year, but next and following years. What do y’all plant for late season food plots? I have a couple acres that I can plant and wanted to do an acre or so is something for deer in late season. Radishes, turnips, brassicas, winter peas, winter wheat...all these are possibilities. Maybe I should put a mix of these in the whole plot? This is a pasture that hasn’t had any animals on it for years just been bush hogged a couple times each year
poorhunter
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Late season plot?

Postby JCDEERMAN » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I plan on going simple next year - I plan on broadcasting a mixture of winter wheat and eco-till radishes. A shallow and deep root system. We know they love both and the radishes will provide the greens, and then the radishes for late season.
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby Jcalder » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I’ve had decent luck with oats and winter wheat. Tried radishes this year and it’s been a complete bust. The drought got them in way too late and I screwed up the setting on the spreader and dumped them all 8 pounds out in about 50 yards lol. I prefer planting around Labor Day but had to put it off till the first week in October and we didn’t get rain until the second week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcalder
10 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Jcalder wrote:I’ve had decent luck with oats and winter wheat. Tried radishes this year and it’s been a complete bust. The drought got them in way too late and I screwed up the setting on the spreader and dumped them all 8 pounds out in about 50 yards lol. I prefer planting around Labor Day but had to put it off till the first week in October and we didn’t get rain until the second week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drought is the main reason I want to go simple and easy next year. I drilled 6 varieties of seed for over 15 hours on the tractor this late summer/early fall and we didn't get rain for 9 weeks- total frustration :bash:

Oats work very well too, just slightly more expensive. I am trying to keep costs down - planting over 30 acres
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby poorhunter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:57 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:I plan on going simple next year - I plan on broadcasting a mixture of winter wheat and eco-till radishes. A shallow and deep root system. We know they love both and the radishes will provide the greens, and then the radishes for late season.

Will the Coop have the ecotill radishes?
poorhunter
10 Point

Postby MickThompson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Cereal rye and wheat will probably stand up to the cold better than anything
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:25 am

poorhunter wrote:
JCDEERMAN wrote:I plan on going simple next year - I plan on broadcasting a mixture of winter wheat and eco-till radishes. A shallow and deep root system. We know they love both and the radishes will provide the greens, and then the radishes for late season.

Will the Coop have the ecotill radishes?

They should. All depends on when they get them in. I got mine at the Franklin Coop (next to where I work) this year. Best thing to do is call around about twice a week.
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:28 am

MickThompson wrote:Cereal rye and wheat will probably stand up to the cold better than anything

Agreed, Mick....Cereal Rye especially
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Return to Food Plots