• Advertisement

Got my summer plots in

Lets grow some stuff.

Got my summer plots in

Postby Smoke » Thu May 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Finally got the weather lined up with my off days to get my summer plots in. 4 plots on 2 farms planted with whitetail Institute powerplant. Now all I need is some rain.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Smoke
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Got my summer plots in

Postby deerfever » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Looks good! I put in some grain sorghum, sunflowers and buckwheat last week. It's all doing good! I read about the power plant seed you put in. That sounds interesting, have you used that before?
deerfever
4 Point

Postby Smoke » Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 pm

deerfever wrote:Looks good! I put in some grain sorghum, sunflowers and buckwheat last week. It's all doing good! I read about the power plant seed you put in. That sounds interesting, have you used that before?
Tried it out last year. Did pretty good. Don't have a lot of deer on that farm but they fed in it all summer and it handled the grazing pressure.

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Shanman » Fri May 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Looks good Smoke. Did you drag the seed in or disk it in?
Shanman
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Shanman wrote:Looks good Smoke. Did you drag the seed in or disk it in?
Cultipacker

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Shanman » Sat May 11, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks, looks like you're going to get rain too. Keep us updated on the growth.
Shanman
6 Point

Postby JBell » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 pm

I put in some power plant this year too. I also put in biologics protein peas. My first year with either one. They are side by side and figured I could see which they preferred. Do u plan on leaving it for season or gonna plant something else later? I was just wondering when they would quit using these
JBell
4 Point

Postby Smoke » Wed May 15, 2019 2:56 am

JBell wrote:I put in some power plant this year too. I also put in biologics protein peas. My first year with either one. They are side by side and figured I could see which they preferred. Do u plan on leaving it for season or gonna plant something else later? I was just wondering when they would quit using these
I'll end up replanting with fall plot. What I planted last year had a lot of beans on it when I replanted. My plots aren't that big so I'm going for maximum amount of winter forage. Left some standing down sides of plot when I replanted in fall and they wore it out.

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Fri May 31, 2019 8:12 am

Considering the heat and lack of rain since I planted, I think the plots are looking good on farm I checked this morning. Think the turkeys thinned it out a little but it'll fill in as it growsImageImageImageImage

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Hunter 257W » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:00 am

Powerplant is my favorite foodplot seed mix. It grows so tall the deer not only eat it but they bed in it. i like to mix a little corn in it and leave it standing all Winter. My main foodplot is about 3 acres surrounded by woods and when growing PowerPlant i always leave a strip down the middle with something that will stay green during cold weather since the PP dies after a frost.

In case you don't know, Pennington Seeds has a mix that is the same as PowerPlant but about 60% of the price. They call it their Spring/Summer Deer mix. I've used it as much as I have PP and can't tell any difference.

I still haven't even been able to bush hog my plot this year. Can't get the tractor to it for the standing water. It's very frustrating during these wet Springs when everybody else has their foodplots going and I haven't even begun!
Hunter 257W
14 Point

Postby Shanman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 pm

How are the plots doing Smoke?
Shanman
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 am

Since they've finally got some steady rain they are doing alot better. One side of the field they are shin to knee high. Saw alot of browsing so at least the deer are putting them to use.ImageImageImageImage

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am

Plots are really starting to come on now. Sunflowers and sunn hemp are waist high. Beans and peas are knee highImageImageImageImageImage

Smoke
6 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Looks great! We just got a no till drill and will be planting next spring.
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby Shanman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Looks like all this rain really kicked things in gear. We were all excited getting 3 plots put in and heavy rain hit before we left the property, then went 3 weeks without any rain, that was a bummer. Thankfully we have been getting rain the last few weeks. You're looking good Smoke, nice looking plots.
Shanman
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Shanman wrote:Looks like all this rain really kicked things in gear. We were all excited getting 3 plots put in and heavy rain hit before we left the property, then went 3 weeks without any rain, that was a bummer. Thankfully we have been getting rain the last few weeks. You're looking good Smoke, nice looking plots.
That was the same problem I had. Got rain 2 days after planting then nothing for several weeks. The good rains last couple weeks has really got it going. Got another plot on another farm that's further along than this farm.

Smoke
6 Point

Postby Smoke » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Finally made it back to check on the plots. They look great. Watched a young 8pt feeding in one this morning and jumped deer at different one this evening. A lot of browse sign and found some beds in it.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Smoke
6 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks great! How many acres did you plant on each of the two farms? Looks like it’s handled browse pressure well
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby Smoke » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:Looks great! How many acres did you plant on each of the two farms? Looks like it’s handled browse pressure well
Not really sure how much it is total, probably 1 1/2 acres. It's on edges of hay field and around rocks where we can't mow hay. Don't have high deer numbers on these farms. Beans are browsed pretty heavy. Buck I watched in it this morning was picking a little of everything.

Smoke
6 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Smoke wrote:
JCDEERMAN wrote:Looks great! How many acres did you plant on each of the two farms? Looks like it’s handled browse pressure well
Not really sure how much it is total, probably 1 1/2 acres. It's on edges of hay field and around rocks where we can't mow hay. Don't have high deer numbers on these farms. Beans are browsed pretty heavy. Buck I watched in it this morning was picking a little of everything.

With 1.5 acres, that still looks well. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been wondering about PowerPlant...Whitetail Institute’s products usually work well at our place
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Next

Return to Food Plots