• Advertisement

Kill Plot?

Lets grow some stuff.

Kill Plot?

Postby Jarred525 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:10 pm

What would be your top choice for a one acre food plot to pull in a mature buck in the late November/December timeframe? Electric fence could be utilized if needed. Curious on opinions.
Jarred525
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Kill Plot?

Postby nate17 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:10 am

I’ve only been foodplotting a couple years now, but the only thing I have planted that’s made it until late season is wheat. I would think fence would be necessary on a plot that small. One of my best plots I have experimented with thus far has been a chicory and rape plot. After we had a frost the deer lived on the plot all hours of the day until they ate it into the dirt.
nate17
8 Point

Re: Kill Plot?

Postby Grnwing » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 am

With an electric fence, you could try soybeans, keep the fence up on them until right before you plan to hunt, you will want to have a lot of pods on your soybeans since that is what they will eat. Depending on your deer density and surrounding habitat, I would think an acre could sustain pretty heavy browse on a good stand of beans for a month or two. You could over seed the soybeans with wheat in October and make a pretty good plot to draw in the deer. Soybeans do require a lot of sun, so if you have a shady spot it maybe better to go another route.
Grnwing
4 Point

Return to Food Plots