• Advertisement

Starting food plots

Lets grow some stuff.

Starting food plots

Postby RyanM » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm looking to start a couple of food plots on my hunting property. The property is only 22 acres and is mostly wooded with about 3-4 acres actually clear enough right now to do anything. I plan on removing some pine to make one area get more sun during the summer, but my large area 1.5 acres approx is ready to become a food plot instead of mowing it all summer long.

Does anyone have any recommended reading or videos on starting small plots for white tail?

Would starting some planting in the spring, knowing I will be replanting in the fall be worth while? I was thinking clearing an area then starting with clover or legumes then tilling that area in for a late summer/fall food plot.

My land is located in Henderson county, on the boarder with Chester county.

thanks in advance.
RyanM
Button

Advertisement

Re: Starting food plots

Postby ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 am

Youtube has tons of video on new food plots
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
18 Point

Postby TigerByrd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I would do a soil test first, and then add the proper supplements to the dirt. Then I would cut everything down you can, and spray to kill everything. At some point this spring I would plant clover. The reason I recommend this is because nothing taught me more than just trying to get something to grow to begin with. That's just me. I learn from doing the task. You will have successes and failures and at the end of the summer, you can decide if you want to keep what you have or start over and plant a fall plot.
TigerByrd
Button

Postby ADR » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

ADR
6 Point

Return to Food Plots