• Advertisement

Winter wheat in beans?

Lets grow some stuff.

Winter wheat in beans?

Postby JAY B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 pm

I have a couple stands set up on a soybean field for ml/gun season, beans probably won’t be cut till December looks like , they are completely brown now and I was thinking of running a couple of 100yard long by 10 yard wide strips of winter wheat in the beans between each stand and the thicket on opposite side of field. Anyone ever tried this to get some green in amongst the beans before the beans are cut and a full cover crop is sowed?
JAY B
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Winter wheat in beans?

Postby hard county » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:10 pm

I have a buddy that does it every year. Works well.
JAY B wrote:I have a couple stands set up on a soybean field for ml/gun season, beans probably won’t be cut till December looks like , they are completely brown now and I was thinking of running a couple of 100yard long by 10 yard wide strips of winter wheat in the beans between each stand and the thicket on opposite side of field. Anyone ever tried this to get some green in amongst the beans before the beans are cut and a full cover crop is sowed?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
hard county
6 Point

Postby Southern Sportsman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I also have a buddy who plants wheat in beans every year. He waits until they start to yellow to spread it so that the leaves drop, covering the seed which helps with germination. But you can do it after they brown. Spread ahead of a rain and it will be green in no time.
Southern Sportsman
8 Point

Postby infoman jr. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:08 pm

I broadcasted wheat in our beans this fall because our beans got demolished and only got about knee high. It's coming up nicely.
infoman jr.
14 Point

Postby Grnwing » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:18 am

Its a great combination having the high protein pods still on the soybeans with the fresh wheat coming up. I over-seed my beans every year around the middle of October before a good rain. For the price of a bag of wheat, its hard to go wrong with doing it.
Grnwing
4 Point

Return to Food Plots