• Advertisement

Creating cover quickly - think this will work?

Quality deer management thoughts. The first QDM forum on the internet Est. 1999

Re: Creating cover quickly - think this will work?

Postby DoubleRidge » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Between work and weather I hadn't pulled soil samples yet but did stop by local co-op this afternoon and picked up the sample bags....price went up a little at $9.50 per sample....but in the long run it beats over spending on lime/fertilizer...or not applying enough.

I am curious to see the lime requirements in the two new plot areas that we're previously timbered areas.

Hope to pull soil samples from the two new plot areas and three established plot areas Thursday if the weather will cooperate.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
DoubleRidge
4 Point

Advertisement

Postby JCDEERMAN » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Good deal. Not on the price of soil sample, but your progress.

Your soil in the recently timbered areas will probably be quite acidic. We’ve usually done 2 tons an acre. I’ve been told you can’t have too much lime
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby DoubleRidge » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 pm

JCDEERMAN wrote:Good deal. Not on the price of soil sample, but your progress.

Your soil in the recently timbered areas will probably be quite acidic. We’ve usually done 2 tons an acre. I’ve been told you can’t have too much lime

Yea... based off everything I've read I'm guessing your correct....the timbered areas will likely be very acidic.... but I am curious to see what the report calls for.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
DoubleRidge
4 Point

Postby DoubleRidge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:31 pm

Finally was able to get too both new plot areas to pull soil samples. I had mentioned in previous post that I already had soil test results for existing plots but I pulled those reports and they were four years old so I went ahead and pulled samples from the existing plots as well. So tommorow morning I'll be dropping them all off at local co-op .....now when will it be dry enough to get a lime truck or fertilizer buggy in there....who knows?
Attachments
IMG_20200202_155333570~2.jpg
IMG_20200202_155333570~2.jpg (78.75 KiB) Viewed 209 times
DoubleRidge
4 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:31 am

Also, when liming, we have always done Ag lime and used 2 tons per acre - it costs us about $28 a ton. We are thinking about doing pelletized lime this year and everything I am reading, you are supposed to use atleast 50% less lime when using pelletized. The Co-Op is telling me that the pelletized lime starts working much sooner than Ag lime. Doesn't make sense to me since Ag lime is more of a powder, but that's what I keep hearing. Pelletized lime is $.08 / lb in our area
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby DoubleRidge » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:02 pm

I've always heard the same in that pelletized lime works faster....but the cost factor has always made me shy away....but if it's true you can use 50% less then maybe cost wouldn't be as big a factor.... pelletized is still high though....no doubt I have some studying to do....coop said soil samples should ship this week so hopefully I'll have some numbers to calculate cost with....and maybe pelletized lime will be the way to go.... working faster would be nice!
DoubleRidge
4 Point

Postby DoubleRidge » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:46 pm

Well.....I got the soil test results back and I'm a little surprised honestly......one of the new plots calls for 0 (zero) lime with the other new plot calling for 1500 lbs per acre.

On the three existing plots they called for an average of 2000 lbs per acre with some small differences between the three plot areas.

Not complaining...going to be spending a little less on lime....I was just expecting it to take more?

Glad to have the results back....but have no idea when we'll be able to get a fertilizer buggy or a lime truck in there? Really could use a break on all the rain.
DoubleRidge
4 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:21 am

That's great - I would be thrilled with using less. Very surprising a new plot recommended zero lime.

Funny how the rain is the devil now, but will be praying for it and washing all of our trucks hoping for it in August/September
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Previous

Return to Quality Deer Management