• Advertisement

Tomato blooms

This is where the green thumbs spread their knowledge.

Re: Tomato blooms

Postby DaveB » Fri May 22, 2020 1:42 pm

The pickled pictures are just plain unfair.

Really looks good.

DaveB
16 Point

Advertisement

Postby GMB54 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Best thing about them....they crank out cukes all season AFTER the weather warms up. You will get tired of picking them all. :P Flavor is so close to a regular cuke you probably would not know unless you were told. I make cukes&onions with a sorta milder but sweet peppers added. That pic is with Brazilian Starfish peppers added. Very sweet and almost a cherry like flavor. Most of the heat is around the seeds. Just remove that and its pretty mild.
GMB54
6 Point

Postby WTM » Fri May 22, 2020 5:03 pm

yeah if one has access to good compost and the bagged compost is just too expensive for my size of garden. i do add back the compost that i generate but i need more to amend. i spoke with the local mulch supplier and he is trying to source some because so many people are asking for it.

the closest thing to compost that i can get is cotton gin trash and hulls but kind of worried about pesticides in it.

i do plant clover and oat mix as a fall cover crop and it does well to make its own composte when i crimp it in spring but i would still like to add some in the fall when i plant it.
WTM
12 Point

Postby GMB54 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:28 am

Really nice compost here is around $26/yard if you go pick it up. The organic compost pricing is around $35. Old alfalfa hay makes good cheap compost if you can find it. Coffee grounds from specialty coffee houses too. Rabbit poo is the absolute best if you can find someone that raises rabbits. You dont even need to compost it. I only need to feed around 50 plants total so a couple bags of Chick N Poo, alfalfa meal and household kitchen waste works fine for me.
GMB54
6 Point

Previous

Return to Gardens and Gardening