• Advertisement

Thinking of doing a garden again

This is where the green thumbs spread their knowledge.

Thinking of doing a garden again

Postby Forvols » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:17 am

I have raised a small garden here at my place and also a bigger one at Mom's in the past. Aint raised a garden in about 2-3yrs thinking Im going to do them both again this year.
Forvols
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Thinking of doing a garden again

Postby hillbillyfab » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 am

Tomatoes are the one thing I always grow. No matter how big or small our garden patch is, tomatoes are my weakness. Can't stand them store bought, tough no flavor ones. If I only set 1 plant out, that's the one I can't do without.
hillbillyfab
4 Point

Postby Forvols » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:44 pm

hillbillyfab wrote:Tomatoes are the one thing I always grow. No matter how big or small our garden patch is, tomatoes are my weakness. Can't stand them store bought, tough no flavor ones. If I only set 1 plant out, that's the one I can't do without.

Agreed see my post in the tomato thread.
Forvols
8 Point

Postby Forvols » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Placed a Gurney's order

Lettuce
Kale
Mustard greens
Turnip greens
Spinach
Blue lake pole beans
Red potato sets
Green onion seeds
Walla walla onion seeds
Broccoli
Radish
Carrots
Basil
Oregano
Cilantro
Parsley
Will get tomatoes, peppers, more potato, eggplant, squash, cukes later.

They had 25bucks off a 50buck order until the end of the month..but dang shipping on my current order is 19bucks.
Going to be growing 2 plots hopefully, one is 40x60 the other is 25x25. THe hopefully part is I just got to do it I own the land.
Forvols
8 Point

Postby brass magnet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:22 pm

What is this 'ain't raised a garden thing' you speak of'???
half of one six dozen of the other
brass magnet
4 Point

Postby DaveB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:49 am

let me know how the W-W onions work out.

I have this problem with onions. I generally never let them grow long enough. I love chomping on spring onions flavored with a touch of salt.

I have had a lot of trouble getting onions to germinate and when I do get success, like 1 out of 20 or 30, I eat them.

The sets are different, those are reliable but not tasty and can bolt in a heartbeat.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
DaveB
14 Point

Postby Forvols » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 am

DaveB wrote:let me know how the W-W onions work out.

I have this problem with onions. I generally never let them grow long enough. I love chomping on spring onions flavored with a touch of salt.

I have had a lot of trouble getting onions to germinate and when I do get success, like 1 out of 20 or 30, I eat them.

The sets are different, those are reliable but not tasty and can bolt in a heartbeat.

I also got some green onions to put out so I wont be tempted to pull the W-W onions to early. MMM wilted lettuce/spinach and green onions. Big mess of greens...Im going to try canning some of the kale/collards/mustard greens. Will probably do another crop of those in the fall too.
Forvols
8 Point

Postby pressfit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 am

I raise my last garden each year... it's way cheaper to buy at the farmers market.. then when spring rolls around I'm back out there turning it up.. bought a Troybilt horse the other day ,had to cut a tree limb to get it, been sitting outside for years.. bout got it ready!! Lol
pressfit
10 Point

Postby Forvols » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm

pressfit wrote:I raise my last garden each year... it's way cheaper to buy at the farmers market.. then when spring rolls around I'm back out there turning it up.. bought a Troybilt horse the other day ,had to cut a tree limb to get it, been sitting outside for years.. bout got it ready!! Lol

Nice deal. I have a HUSQ DRT900 with Honada engine, thing is a brute. And also have and old front tine murray tiller that used to drag me around (front tine tiller is young mans work). Wished I could afford a PTO tiller for my tractor, but man they spendy.
Forvols
8 Point

Return to Gardens and Gardening