Gun selection 22 magnum or 17 hmr

pastorofgrace

I would like to hunt coyotes on WMA property. Since WMA restricts bullet use to rimfires only....in your opinion,which caliber would be the best choice? 22 magnum or 17 hmr. Thanks

CATCHDAWG

Coyote Slayer said:
I use a 22 magnum. get the fastest rounds you can find. faster rounds have more knockdown power.
Someone needs to read some ballistic charts and understand the difference between velocity and energy. ;). Your statement is far from the truth.

Gravey

LanceS4803 said:
stik said:
22mag by far. I wanted one of those 17's until I shot one.

Don't leave us hanging.
I've never shot a 17. How was it?
Can't speak for stik but mine is a tack driver. Never hunted with it other than killing a few tree rats that were getting in my roof air vents. The 17-grain v-max bullet will put a quarter size hole through them.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My .17 will hit EXACTLY where you aim.
It will blow the head off a squirrel at 80 yards.
I would imagine hitting a coyote in the side of the head with it would do the trick just fine.

JDP

If you were going to buy a new rifle I would go with the 17 WSM Winchester super mag. I've heard its 3000 ft per sec for the 20 gr and 2500 ft per sec in the 25 gr.

If you already had the 22mag or 17 HMR I'd try both and see which works better for you. I've killed them on FT Campbell with my 17 HMR but I've lost some too!

KPH

stik said:
LanceS4803 said:
stik said:
22mag by far. I wanted one of those 17's until I shot one.

Don't leave us hanging.
I've never shot a 17. How was it?

I just wasn't impressed and already had a 22mag.
I have to agree about not being impressed with the 17 have owned one the mag is a favorite. Shote P-dogs out to 200 yards with one.

Bos'n

I have never shot a coyote with a 22lr or 22mag. I shot one last summer with a 17hmr because it was the only gun i had handy. Shot it at 32 yrds and it went down, tiny entry wound and no exit.It all depends on bullet placement and bullet type. I wouldn't use either if I was going out to hunt them, I would use a center fire.

FOX FIRE

I have both the .17HMR & the .22mag, & for yotes I'm a firm believer in the .22 mag but keep the shots within 100 yards.

Have killed them with both rounds & used the same bullet placements, the one shot with the .17 just flinched & trotted off only to die later, the one shot with .22 mag dropped in its tracks & never wiggled, no muscle spasms or kicking at all, just collapsed & was dead before he hit the ground.

IMO the .17 is only good for gophers & stray cats the spray my truck, its just to light weight & fragile for clean kills VS the .22 mag with heavier bullet weight & size.

Latest posts