Blind draw update

MackPC

TWRA just posted that there will be a drawing this year but we will have to wait until after the commission meeting which is this Friday. They should set new guidelines for format of draw for the social distancing changes. Time will tell. I've been asking about this for a while and am looking forward to finding out.

Displaced_Vol

Thanks for the update TNGunsmoke! I'm going to start looking into it myself but do you know if this is for the annual spots only, or is this a new system for the temporary electronic draw spots from years past also? (Hope that made sense?)

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
The way I understand it, this is for the annual spots for the traditional WMA blind draws that are held the first Sat in August.

So many people show up for these in person draws, it is a Covid risk to hold them as normal.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Can you explain what the "sign-ons may not be added later" part means? Does it mean you must apply as a party and cannot bring buddies if you alone draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

double browtine

Well I think it will be a good thing. This will bust up the big groups that pool together and get several blind sites. The Dover and Camden monopolies will be no more! I bet it never goes back to the on-site drawing after this!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
younggun308":25f79ac4 said:
Can you explain what the "sign-ons may not be added later" part means? Does it mean you must apply as a party and cannot bring buddies if you alone draw?

If you apply as a party, everyone in the party will get a blind card, and have the right to ask blind hoppers to leave before shooting light. No card, you don't have that right. Basically, if you do draw as a single person, you can't add card holders after the draw. You can bring friends to hunt with you up if you draw it. That part has not changed.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
TNGunsmoke":1gsg01zd said:
younggun308":1gsg01zd said:

If you apply as a party, everyone in the party will get a blind card, and have the right to ask blind hoppers to leave before shooting light. No card, you don't have that right. Basically, if you do draw as a single person, you can't add card holders after the draw. You can bring friends to hunt with you up if you draw it. That part has not changed.
Gotcha, but strategically you raise odds of "someone" drawing if everyone does so as an individual—with the caveat that the person who drew must be present?

double browtine

younggun308":zui1p1md said:

I think it will be like always. So the purpose of a sign on person is kinda like a second or third blind holder. If the primary blind holder is not in the blind by shooting time on hunt day, then anyone can show up and hunt that blind. So say I show up from out of town and occupy a blind. I get there really early and I have a fast boat( some WMA you can't leave the ramp before a set time) and beat the usual guys to the blind. The only person that can kick me out of the blind is the primary blind holder, or one of the sign on people.
So on blind draw day as it used to be, big time duck hunter brings 50 people or more to the drawing. Their friends 3rd cousins sisters girlfriend draws the first blind. One of the big time hunters has to sign on to the blind and be there on hunt day before shooting time to officially occupy the blind. If I get there first, and they say you have to leave, and I know that none of them is a blind holder, then. I don't have to leave. You can ask to see their license for proof. In the old days, the primary and sign on names were written inside the blind.

Now this is how it used to be. Not sure if the rules have changed thru the years. I haven't hunted a WMA for ducks in about 20 years.

This is the reason blinds have been burned, and fights have happened at the boat ramp. Also hunters have come back to the ramp with truck tires and boat tires flat, or lug nuts missing. That is just from stories I have heard thru the years.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
double browtine":2v0vsntx said:
younggun308":2v0vsntx said:

I think it will be like always. So the purpose of a sign on person is kinda like a second or third blind holder. If the primary blind holder is not in the blind by shooting time on hunt day, then anyone can show up and hunt that blind. So say I show up from out of town and occupy a blind. I get there really early and I have a fast boat( some WMA you can't leave the ramp before a set time) and beat the usual guys to the blind. The only person that can kick me out of the blind is the primary blind holder, or one of the sign on people.
So on blind draw day as it used to be, big time duck hunter brings 50 people or more to the drawing. Their friends 3rd cousins sisters girlfriend draws the first blind. One of the big time hunters has to sign on to the blind and be there on hunt day before shooting time to officially occupy the blind. If I get there first, and they say you have to leave, and I know that none of them is a blind holder, then. I don't have to leave. You can ask to see their license for proof. In the old days, the primary and sign on names were written inside the blind.

Now this is how it used to be. Not sure if the rules have changed thru the years. I haven't hunted a WMA for ducks in about 20 years.

This is the reason blinds have been burned, and fights have happened at the boat ramp. Also hunters have come back to the ramp with truck tires and boat tires flat, or lug nuts missing. That is just from stories I have heard thru the years.
That's insightful in explaining how people played the numbers game before.

I'm just wondering if statistically under the new system a party application is essentially the same as an individual application, or if every individual in the party gets an entry.

Dodge Man

younggun308":1y4l6e5f said:
double browtine":1y4l6e5f said:
younggun308":1y4l6e5f said:

That's insightful in explaining how people played the numbers game before.

I'm just wondering if statistically under the new system a party application is essentially the same as an individual application, or if every individual in the party gets an entry.

If you apply as a group you have 1 chance to draw the same as if 1 person applies to the draw alone. The only benefit to drawing as a group is if you get drawn you have multiple blind cards for that blind.

Dodge Man

Displaced_Vol":1ojziuk6 said:
Thanks for the update TNGunsmoke! I'm going to start looking into it myself but do you know if this is for the annual spots only, or is this a new system for the temporary electronic draw spots from years past also? (Hope that made sense?)
It is important to know that most of these places require work and lots of boat loads of brush. Some site will not have a blind and one will have to brought in or built. Lots of blinds require work, replacing floor, roof, supports. It takes quite a bit of work to get them ready to hunt each season.

drake799

Dodge Man":2dxc2fq8 said:
Displaced_Vol":2dxc2fq8 said:
It is important to know that most of these places require work and lots of boat loads of brush. Some site will not have a blind and one will have to brought in or built. Lots of blinds require work, replacing floor, roof, supports. It takes quite a bit of work to get them ready to hunt each season.

Yes!!!! It's amazing how so many people think you just draw these sites and show up and hunt. They have no idea the amount of work that goes into all of it. Why I would never just show up and go "hopping" someone blind Yeah one or 2 People may Just have a card to it. But I guarantee several put the work into it. It's just common decency to me lol

Dodge Man

drake799":ujwfbmh3 said:
Dodge Man":ujwfbmh3 said:
Displaced_Vol":ujwfbmh3 said:

Yes!!!! It's amazing how so many people think you just draw these sites and show up and hunt. They have no idea the amount of work that goes into all of it. Why I would never just show up and go "hopping" someone blind Yeah one or 2 People may Just have a card to it. But I guarantee several put the work into it. It's just common decency to me lol
037c923c8f39fcf983272784715c24f1.jpg

Well it won't get to that point. If they do no work before the end of October then the blind or location goes to a first come / boat blind location for the season. Witch is going to just cause more trouble if it ends up being one of the better blind spots in the area.

double browtine

Dodge Man":cnly20y5 said:
Displaced_Vol":cnly20y5 said:

Yes!!!! It's amazing how so many people think you just draw these sites and show up and hunt. They have no idea the amount of work that goes into all of it. Why I would never just show up and go "hopping" someone blind Yeah one or 2 People may Just have a card to it. But I guarantee several put the work into it. It's just common decency to me lol[/quote]
037c923c8f39fcf983272784715c24f1.jpg

Well it won't get to that point. If they do no work before the end of October then the blind or location goes to a first come / boat blind location for the season. Witch is going to just cause more trouble if it ends up being one of the better blind spots in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

That would make things very interesting for sure! I could see a pontoon boat blind coming in very handy in that situation.
I'm glad I have private land to hunt. We don't kill alot of ducks like the WMA's but we don't have all the hassle either!

Latest posts