• Advertisement

Arkansas waterfowl outfitter

Lets talk DUX

Arkansas waterfowl outfitter

Postby gravy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 am

My son wants to do a flooded timber hunt. Does anyone have have an outfitter they could recommend for Arkansas?
gravy
Spike

Advertisement

Re: Arkansas waterfowl outfitter

Postby arkwaterfowler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I have hunted Arkansas 25 years and have had several great flooded timber hunts. The problem with flooded timber is if its really good, a rich man buys it. If its mediocre you will probably have a bad hunt. My advice is save your pennies and go with a top notch outfitter. A few good ones are as follows:

Slick McCollums - probably booked up a year in advance and I estimate $800 per gun per day. Lodging included.
Lost Lake - good stuff but no lodging - its five miles north of Stuttgart so you can stay in a local motel. I estimate they will be $450 per gun per day but they kill em.
Strait Lake near Mccrory - top notch $1000 per day per gun bargain lodge and $1,200 per gun per day luxury lodge. I know they have had a few cancellations this year.

all of these outfitters should be stomping the ducks this year. we killed the crap out of mallards last weekend on the river and had hundreds work after the hunt. Best of luck on getting into some good flooded timber. Beware of fly by night outfitters or you will end up wasting your money and pissed off.
arkwaterfowler
4 Point

Postby BlackEagle1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Idk if they have any timber hunts but Stan Jones lodge is top notch. We field hunted ducks in the morning and shot upland in the evening ( rig-necked pheasants , chukar, Hungarian partridge). Sweet clays setup over the pond as well. The food and lodging can not be beat.
BlackEagle1
4 Point

Postby gravy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like most of the good ones are booked. We may have to wait till next year and book early.
gravy
Spike

Postby jard » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:02 pm

are u wanting stand in the water next to a tree timber hunt or in a blind in a timber hole type of hunt?? There are several places in West TN that have timber holes in the cypress swamps with blinds in them that Ive hunted and they schlack them. Its awesome hunting but Ive always wanted to stand in the water next to a tree and kick water etc but Ive never had the chance.
jard
6 Point

Postby Crosshairy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pm

jard wrote:are u wanting stand in the water next to a tree timber hunt or in a blind in a timber hole type of hunt?? There are several places in West TN that have timber holes in the cypress swamps with blinds in them that Ive hunted and they schlack them. Its awesome hunting but Ive always wanted to stand in the water next to a tree and kick water etc but Ive never had the chance.

Funny enough, but standing in the water in timber is 80% of the hunting that I do. Sometimes I think "boy, it sure would be nice to just pull up to a heated blind and not kill myself getting in and out of these duck holes", but that's the ups and downs of walk-in public land hunting.
I'm hungry and tired. Don't poke my belly.
Crosshairy
10 Point

Postby gravy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:28 am

We have had some good hunts in flooded fields but he has always wanted to stand in the timber. We have had fun in the fields but we both love trying new methods. The up close and personal in your face timber hunt is a bucket list hunt for sure.
gravy
Spike

Return to Waterfowl & Other Winged Interests