Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draws

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Skip forward to the 13 minute mark to watch

I tried the youtube function on the board, but they have disabled playback through other sites on the video, so here is a direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K3nL3f ... ture=share

Summary is as follows.
1)Application process is the same as it has been, go up, show license, fill out your card and drop it in the barrel
2)Draw as normal

This is where things start to change

3)form your party with all sign on's. All sign on's(unlimited number of sign on's allowed, but only 8 can hunt the blind at a time) will be grouped together to form a party with drawn individual as party leader.
4) Party Leader will be put on another color card and put in a second barrel
5) second draw of only party leaders and in the order from this you'll pick a blind and then your party will fill out for the blind cards

They are attempting to cut back on the number of blinds being sold at some of these draws and to prevent people from guiding out of draw blinds. Looks like it may take a bit longer to finish the draw if you are drawn, but if you don't get drawn, you will probably get done a little sooner. Time will tell.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Re: Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draw

Not sure who's gonna be madder, the ones buying blinds for 16k, or those wanting to sell.

Crazyeye

How is this going stop the buying and selling? A couple of days after the draw, someone is going to pay someone some money and get handed all the cards for that blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

I'd guess if you are found in possession of a blind card, and your id does not match the name on the card, you and the person who actually drew the blind will be in big trouble. But that is just a guess.

scn

TNGunsmoke":1km8u52b said:
I'd guess if you are found in possession of a blind card, and your id does not match the name on the card, you and the person who actually drew the blind will be in big trouble. But that is just a guess.

I would think that is a pretty good guess. If they are not on the original blind party list, they would have zero "rights" to the blind. It will be first come, first served as it should be. It will make for a VERY interesting season on some of the WMAs. This change has been MANY years in the making. Glad the Commission finally got fed up enough with the blatant buying/selling to make the change!

Dodge Man

scn":1bhtrytb said:
TNGunsmoke":1bhtrytb said:

I would think that is a pretty good guess. If they are not on the original blind party list, they would have zero "rights" to the blind. It will be first come, first served as it should be. It will make for a VERY interesting season on some of the WMAs. This change has been MANY years in the making. Glad the Commission finally got fed up enough with the blatant buying/selling to make the change!

I don't see it changing much, some people buy blinds leave 2 holes for the original people that were drawn for the blind to keep it somewhat legal. That way if they get checked there is usually someone in the blind that has a card for the blind that was drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scn

It won't prevent your scenario from happening. But, I doubt anyone gets a $15,000 offer as they walk to claim their blind like some friends did last year (and, they did not sell). If the person that illegally buys the blind doesn't have at least one of the legal blind holders with them every day, they will have zero rights to the blind if someone beats them to the blind.

It won't totally fix the problem, but is a major step in cleaning up some of the bs that has gone on far too long.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

They ought to do up a new format blind card to go along with these changes this year. That would help cut back on some of the funny business I have heard about where someone has duplicated the current cards and can make themselves a copy that looks like an original. Probably need to be able to check the names on blind cards with the original party signed on too.

scn

TNGunsmoke":2z2obu99 said:
They ought to do up a new format blind card to go along with these changes this year. That would help cut back on some of the funny business I have heard about where someone has duplicated the current cards and can make themselves a copy that looks like an original. Probably need to be able to check the names on blind cards with the original party signed on too.

A list of all of the blind card holders for each blind should be available from the Regional office upon request. If their name isn't on the list, it is an illegal forgery of state documents and may be in the felony category.

Pic IN the Casa

I think it's a dumb idea. Why nkt just go after the perps?
What if you get stuck with a blind that needs rebuilt/repaired? Can you opt out without repercussions?

scn

Pic IN the Casa":115393em said:
I think it's a dumb idea. Why nkt just go after the perps?
What if you get stuck with a blind that needs rebuilt/repaired? Can you opt out without repercussions?

With the way the regs have been written, it was almost impossible to go after the violators.

The way the new regs seem to be written, the only way you would end up with a blind that needs to be rebuilt is if your party leader chooses it. As I understand, the first drawing is to get a spot in the blind selection drawing. As an example, it there are 30 blinds on that WMA, they will draw for thirty parties. The second drawing would only have the thirty party leaders in the barrel. As has been, the first party leader drawn will have the first choice of blinds. That will continue until all blinds are selected. I would think that when it gets down to the marginal blinds that the party would have the option of not taking it.

drake799

This is solely for the known "draw buying draws" It's punishing the smaller draws where this really isn't a problem. Where I've always drawn. Everyone signs on 4-6 anyway. We've always "assembled our parties" Nothing has changed except the people lucky enough to get pulled first aren't gettin the rewards of their luck. Now you've got to get lucky TWICE?! Give me a break..... why isn't this just applied to those known problem areas. Heck it's no secret this goes on. TWRA has knowingly allowed it for years Now they come up with this I've seen people talking about buying blinds and getting the cards from the drawees. Well guess what. The cards never matched the names of the people buying/hunting the blinds. They couldn't have So how is this any different. People will still buy and not have cards with proper names on them. Hope this is revised in the near future.

scn

drake799":zn47kmgu said:
This is solely for the known "draw buying draws" It's punishing the smaller draws where this really isn't a problem. Where I've always drawn. Everyone signs on 4-6 anyway. We've always "assembled our parties" Nothing has changed except the people lucky enough to get pulled first aren't gettin the rewards of their luck. Now you've got to get lucky TWICE?! Give me a break..... why isn't this just applied to those known problem areas. Heck it's no secret this goes on. TWRA has knowingly allowed it for years Now they come up with this I've seen people talking about buying blinds and getting the cards from the drawees. Well guess what. The cards never matched the names of the people buying/hunting the blinds. They couldn't have So how is this any different. People will still buy and not have cards with proper names on them. Hope this is revised in the near future.

TWRA has NEVER knowingly allowed it.

As the regulations were written, they were almost impossible to enforce. TWRA does not have enough officers to have them stationed at blinds before shooting time to check blind cards as they enter the blind. Once shooting time comes, it is a moot point. They have written some tickets over the years for the misuse of blind cards, and a few citations were issued to some really dumb folks in the buying and selling of blinds.

As far as the known problem areas, it seems to be pretty prevalent across the system. There is no way to just direct it to the two or three where it has been the most open.

drake799

I mean this as respectfully as possible and Not to be a smart elleck. But changing the rules proves to me they know about it. I don't believe that for 1 second. You can't come out and say they do. I know that and I understand but please. I've heard enough first hand accounts of Things going on at Big Sandy drawing and others where there was no way what was going on wasn't recognized by LE. I've never heard of laws that couldn't be enforced Talking about checking people at blinds before shooting time. All someone would have to say if they were checked and didn't have a card to blind would be they was hopping that day then when "cardholders" didn't Show. They'd be entitled to blind. It's a simple
Way around that Or they was friends of cardholders and were told to Come hunt that day. It's a tricky situation I know I'm just saying this resolution hurts people as much as it helps deter

scn

drake799":224288is said:
I mean this as respectfully as possible and Not to be a smart elleck. But changing the rules proves to me they know about it. I don't believe that for 1 second. You can't come out and say they do. I know that and I understand but please. I've heard enough first hand accounts of Things going on at Big Sandy drawing and others where there was no way what was going on wasn't recognized by LE. I've never heard of laws that couldn't be enforced Talking about checking people at blinds before shooting time. All someone would have to say if they were checked and didn't have a card to blind would be they was hopping that day then when "cardholders" didn't Show. They'd be entitled to blind. It's a simple
Way around that Or they was friends of cardholders and were told to Come hunt that day. It's a tricky situation I know I'm just saying this resolution hurts people as much as it helps deter

Of course TWRA knew that the regs were being violated. But, knowing, and being able to make a case that would stand up in court are two different things. Your statement about laws that couldn't be enforced shows that you have zero knowledge about law enforcement making a case. Before retirement, I sat in multiple LE meetings where this subject was discussed. Short of rigging the drawing and having to do it again, there was virtually no way to enforce the laws on the book. I, personally, have no use for "feel good" laws that are unenforceable. It was time to either delete them or try something else.

The new set of regs won't be a magic wand that all of a sudden makes all of the violations go away. But, it will make it harder for the violations to take place. Hopefully the first picks will now go to some legal hunters that want to hunt rather than someone that doesn't even hunt looking to make a quick buck.

tickweed

I have been going to the Camden drawings since they where held at the big sandy workshop. crowds then where 6-700 hundred. We drew probably 5-6 times in 30+ years. A friend and myself got drawn 2nd maybe 5 yrs ago, as we stood up a guy walked up, offered 10,000, we took a few more steps, then 12,000. He didn't sell, killed very few ducks. to this day I still claim he owes me half of the offer. I am very fortunate, I have my own place in west tn., but still enjoy going to Camden to see old friends, and try and help them. This should make it more fair to the real hunters having a chance that need a blind site. The state is sure to lose some money, due to all the wives, friends, others who buy the permit just to put in for the lottery as it had became. What puzzles me is for the kind of money being spent by the same groups every yr, you could take that money and lease a really good spot, or even put it towards buying a spot. I think it was a great plan from TWRA, good job.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

I don't think the issues of non-hunting wives/girlfriends/other friends will go away. If drawn, they'll still have the sign ons for their group and someone will be on hand to help them with blind selection. It may help cut down on the ones that are just there to sell, but not as part of a group that actually intends to hunt. I wish we could get it back down to just groups that intend to hunt, but I know that is not possible, human nature is to stack the deck as best we can.

Andy S.

I like reading about this topic every year on here. Years ago, say 2000 or so I was recruited by some guys to "come hang out at Big Sandy duck draw, meet some fellow hunters, and have the possibility of winning a blind and selling for $5-10k". Literally, that is how I was introduced to the Big Sandy Duck Draw. I attended for a few years but haven't been back since.

Levee Jumper

I assume they will draw a few alternates but have not read anything about that. With all the draw blind sites some just are not worth the effort to build, brush and have to hunt every day to keep somebody from stealing all your stuff. I can tell you from experience that having to go chase decoys in a gar hole instead of chasing ducks when the backwater gets out sucks hind tit. Signing in on a party to turn around and get drawn in the bottom 25% of the second draw would be rough if you were forced to keep it. I would assume that if they went that route and a blind was not built/brushed, they would have to penalize those involved by not being able to draw the following year.

Overall I believe its a step in the right direction. I just think that having some alternates would be a good idea to ensure at least all blinds are huntable even if not hunted by the "owners" of the blind.

Latest posts