• Advertisement

WMA access rules

Lets talk DUX

WMA access rules

Postby RUGER » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Ok I know that the 5 days prior to the opening of the late duck season there is no access to the WMA, specifically Gooch I mean.

The season is closed from now till Saturday.
I'm wondering, can someone go this week to say, work on a blind or put some dekes out?

The way I'm reading the regs I think we would be ok but I haven't called the office to ask specifically.

Hmmmm, that would be better than running a skill saw before daylight on Saturday morning.
Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Advertisement

Re: WMA access rules

Postby Dodge Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:55 pm

The way I have always heard it nobody can be on the property at all. I think they lock the gate at the entrance and nobody is allowed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dodge Man
12 Point

Postby Levee Jumper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Its always been my understanding that it is shut before the first opener and then remains open the remainder of the year. I say that because Ive always complained about those that keep the ducks ran off during the split working on decoys and blinds. :poke:

On as side note, as of yesterday at lunch you still couldn't comfortably drive in Gooch, only the concrete bridge between the old checking station and the railroad was showing. I guess a combination of drifts and beavers are doing their best to keep it backed up.
Levee Jumper
4 Point

Postby RUGER » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm

Levee Jumper wrote:Its always been my understanding that it is shut before the first opener and then remains open the remainder of the year. I say that because Ive always complained about those that keep the ducks ran off during the split working on decoys and blinds. :poke:

On as side note, as of yesterday at lunch you still couldn't comfortably drive in Gooch, only the concrete bridge between the old checking station and the railroad was showing. I guess a combination of drifts and beavers are doing their best to keep it backed up.

You think it will go down enough to drive under it by Saturday?

Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby RUGER » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Was it any higher than this ?
ImageImageImage

Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby scn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm

The area is closed to all boat traffic until it reopens on Saturday.
scn
16 Point

Postby RUGER » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 pm

scn wrote:The area is closed to all boat traffic until it reopens on Saturday.

Thanks they never called me back

Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby Levee Jumper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Strictly out of curiosity, did Goose season not open today at Gooch?
Last edited by Levee Jumper on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levee Jumper
4 Point

Postby Levee Jumper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm

If its closed, its the first time I've ever seen it. I wouldn't consider this coming Saturday the "First Opening of Late Duck Season"
Levee Jumper
4 Point

Postby drake799 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:57 pm

People were on Gooch day before season this year Person I know seen several boats unloaded down there on Thanksgiving day lol
drake799
Spike

Postby tickweed » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm

l wish all waterfowl wmas shut down 5 days prior to the opener. boat riders just hurt it so bad. lts wildlife harassment. by staying out, it helps ducks imprint areas. There is no reason to be on wma during this time. lt would just help everyone .we have talked and talked to commissioners, seems it's a deaf.ear.
tickweed
12 Point

Postby RUGER » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm

tickweed wrote:l wish all waterfowl wmas shut down 5 days prior to the opener. boat riders just hurt it so bad. lts wildlife harassment. by staying out, it helps ducks imprint areas. There is no reason to be on wma during this time. lt would just help everyone .we have talked and talked to commissioners, seems it's a deaf.ear.

My issue is the regs only speak of one opening day of the late duck season when in actuality there are two

Let 'em work
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby scn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Levee Jumper wrote:If its closed, its the first time I've ever seen it. I wouldn't consider this coming Saturday the "First Opening of Late Duck Season"

From Proclamation 18-06: Same as statewide seasons, except Units A and E are
closed during the waterfowl seasons and are closed to all
activities five days before each opening of the late duck seasons.

Pretty clear in the Proclamation that it is closed.

This is another example of why there is a statement in bold in the Hunting Guide that it isn't a legal document. The legal documents are statutes, rules and regulations, and proclamations.

Here is the link to all of the legal documents: https://www.tn.gov/twra/twra-across-the ... tions.html
scn
16 Point

Postby Levee Jumper » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks, very good information. It does appear that even the Legal Rule is a bit misworded since season was open this past Monday though.
Levee Jumper
4 Point

Postby scn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am

Levee Jumper wrote:Thanks, very good information. It does appear that even the Legal Rule is a bit misworded since season was open this past Monday though.

Correct on the incorrect wording in the Proclamation. One of the issues in getting everything correct is cutting and pasting new stuff into existing regs. If my memory is correct, prior split seasons closed on Sunday. They failed to catch that when they added Monday this year. I'll try to add that to the list of corrections for next year.

Thanks!
scn
16 Point

Return to Waterfowl & Other Winged Interests