Land owner exemption (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crappieaddict

I think I understand, but the previous question made me second guess. I recently inherited a share of the family farm, about 35 acres. I DO NOT live on it. The land owner exemption does apply. Correct?

MUP

I don't think the LE applies to property owned in common by two or more parties who are unrelated, could be wrong tho. I think it depends on how closely related you are to the family members you own in common with? If you own it outright, then you're good tho.

License Exemptions

Hunting Regulations Icon Tennessee
Hunting

•Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
•Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
•Landowners, their spouses and children who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
•Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents. (See below, Farmland Owner License Exemption.)
•Tenants, their spouses and their dependent children who hunt on farmland which is owned by an individual or a family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
•Resident and nonresident youths under 13. Hunters ages 10–12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt. However, youths 6–16 hunting big game on a WMA must have a valid Type 094 or Type 095 permit or quota permit, as applicable.

scn

Crappieaddict":11wcchey said:
I think I understand, but the previous question made me second guess. I recently inherited a share of the family farm, about 35 acres. I DO NOT live on it. The land owner exemption does apply. Correct?

If you own that 35 acres with no other persons on the deed, you would qualify for the exemption. If it is part of the larger farm with multiple owners, and that 35 acres is your part of the whole farm, it may not qualify for the landowner exemption.

If the ownership is all children of your parents, it might work. Talk to you local officer and let them help you sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts