• Advertisement

Youth hunting during season?

This forum is for asking questions of TWRA personnel. Threads in this forum are not open for debate. Personal opinions and debate are not allowed in this forum and are subject to deletion.

Moderator: TWRA Moderators

Youth hunting during season?

Postby THE DUKE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm I able to take my 8yr old during muzz & rifle season and let them shoot?
THE DUKE
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Youth hunting during season?

Postby scn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Yes. At age 8, they are not required to have a LICENSE or the Hunter Safety Certification. However, they must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age who meets the hunter safety requirements, and who is always in position to take immediate control of their weapon. They must comply with all of the blaze orange requirements.

If they shoot an anterless deer during the gun season (G/M/A season), they are required to have a Type 94 PERMIT. They cannot shoot one off of your permit.

Any deer shot by the youth hunter must be checked in under their name. If they are not in the TWRA system, you will not be able to check the deer in on the "App". You would need to go to a physical check station to check the deer in. You can get them in the system by visiting a license agent before they hunt and setting up a profile, or, (I think), by calling the License Division of TWRA at (615) 781-5270.
scn
16 Point

Return to TWRA QUESTIONS