• Advertisement

Mexican Discada

All about cooking

Mexican Discada

Postby TAFKAP » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am

My brother introduced me to this concept recently. It started with Mexican farm hands taking a tractor disc, and using it to cook their lunches in the field. It's not so much a recipe, but a process. Using the disc similarly to a wok, you cook the fattiest foods first, and the leanest foods last. Master the process, and the doors open to all sorts of cuisines. These tacos turned out to be incredible. I can't wait to try some Creole-inspired seafood dishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFnf7SkFro

TAFKAP
16 Point

Advertisement

Re: Mexican Discada

Postby tree_ghost » Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 am

That’s cool! I’ll be trying this one out for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.” Gen 27:3
tree_ghost
10 Point

Postby mike243 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:11 am

Kinda looks to be galvanized ,I will stick with my blackstone lol ,Like the idea though
I'm Just a Spike/button Hunter, I will shoot a Trophy if 1 comes by but will settle for what the Lord provides/trophy's are in the eyes of the hunter not their neighbors
mike243
16 Point

Postby Pennywise67 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 am

I have had one for years. turns out really good food. discadas are originally made from old plow discs. you just fill in the hole and add handles. Mime is heavy carbon steel, like cast iron. I've made several different types tacos, fajitas, plus we done Chinese food a few times,and I've done a paella once that came out pretty good. In fact I need to break it out and cook something up.

Larry
Pennywise67
4 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am

mike243 wrote:Kinda looks to be galvanized ,I will stick with my blackstone lol ,Like the idea though

Nope, just plain ol' plate carbon steel
TAFKAP
16 Point

Postby BamaProud » Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am

I bet its fantastic.

Sounds similar to the Spanish Paella(without the rice), often cooked in a large shallow round dish over a fire or propane burner. Paella's usually have short grain rice as a base and whatever meats added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.
Wine-Down Brewing and Winemaking
BamaProud
16 Point

Postby GMB54 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am

You can buy something very similar in SS. I think its called a comal. The sell them concave or convex. The convex you heat your tortillas in the center....They are pretty stinking expensive too for over 20"
GMB54
6 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

BamaProud wrote:I bet its fantastic.

Sounds similar to the Spanish Paella(without the rice), often cooked in a large shallow round dish over a fire or propane burner. Paella's usually have short grain rice as a base and whatever meats added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella

Except for being round, this isn't a paella pan. Pretty sure they're fairly light, whereas this one is 1/4" thick steel. It's got depth to it like a wok, but paella pans are pretty shallow and more uniform
TAFKAP
16 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

GMB54 wrote:You can buy something very similar in SS. I think its called a comal. The sell them concave or convex. The convex you heat your tortillas in the center....They are pretty stinking expensive too for over 20"

I had a buddy from Mexico that made a taco cart like that. It was stainless, and domed in the middle. Rather than cooking in the center, and pulling the meat up leaving the grease, that one would cook the meat, and drain the grease away. Warm the tortillas on the middle just like that.....it was delicious.
TAFKAP
16 Point

Postby Chaneylake » Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 pm

A used 20 inch disc blade is cheap and works great
Don't piss down my back and tell me its rain, Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales

Having you along is like losing 2 good men

You do not have permission to view the attached photos
Chaneylake
16 Point

Return to Cooking Forum