• Advertisement

Slow Cooker Curry Chicken

All about cooking

Slow Cooker Curry Chicken

Postby Mike Belt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Tried this yesterday and it was good....

1 Tbsp butter
1 onion chopped
1 each (10.75 oz) cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz.) can of coconut milk
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
3 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper
3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
1 cup green peas
2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms

Heat butter in skillet over medium heat and cook onion until browned
In a large bowl stir together milk, soups, curry, salt, and peppers
Place chicken in bottom of cooker and pour in soup mixture
Stir in onion, peas, and mushrooms
Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours
Reduce to low heat 1 1/2- 2 hours
Serve over bed of cooked rice
Mike Belt
Non-Typical

Advertisement

Re: Slow Cooker Curry Chicken

Postby GMB54 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 am

Sounds ok for an Americanized curry but a little salty for my tastes depending on the curry powder you are using. Onion soup mix is a sodium bomb. Nearly 5000mg in a whole 2oz pack. Creamed soups are loaded too but Campbells does have a super low sodium Cream of Mushroom.

As a "westernized" curry i would suggest Vadouvan curry powder. It includes rosemary and thyme. I use it for tons of stuff because its a mild powder and no added salt. You can always adjust for salt and heat later but its a PITA to take them back if your base has too much.

BTW just skip the butter. Skim the fat off the can of coconut milk and use that to fry the onions. Good coconut milk will have plenty of fat in it. The fat will rise to the top of the can if you leave it alone for a few days. Just dont shake it when you are ready to use it. If you need to add another oil add rice bran oil or avocado to increase the smoke point. Both are very healthy oils too.

Do you like really strong curries?
GMB54
6 Point

Postby Whitetaillane8 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:46 pm

GMB54 wrote:Sounds ok for an Americanized curry but a little salty for my tastes depending on the curry powder you are using. Onion soup mix is a sodium bomb. Nearly 5000mg in a whole 2oz pack. Creamed soups are loaded too but Campbells does have a super low sodium Cream of Mushroom.

As a "westernized" curry i would suggest Vadouvan curry powder. It includes rosemary and thyme. I use it for tons of stuff because its a mild powder and no added salt. You can always adjust for salt and heat later but its a PITA to take them back if your base has too much.

BTW just skip the butter. Skim the fat off the can of coconut milk and use that to fry the onions. Good coconut milk will have plenty of fat in it. The fat will rise to the top of the can if you leave it alone for a few days. Just dont shake it when you are ready to use it. If you need to add another oil add rice bran oil or avocado to increase the smoke point. Both are very healthy oils too.

Do you like really strong curries?

Original recipe sounds good. I must have missed the O.P asking for someone to rewrite the recipe
Whitetaillane8
4 Point

Postby GMB54 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:09 pm

2oz packet of onion soup mix around 4270mg sodium
Can of cream of mushroom soup 2175mg
Can of cream of chicken 2175mg
1/2 tsp salt...about 1000mg
Curry powder...unknown kind

Looks like its pushing 3000mg per chicken breast serving and we have not even included the sodium in the chicken. So yes i would find it to be very salty for a curry.
GMB54
6 Point

Postby Mike Belt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 am

I've never seen a recipe that couldn't be "adjusted". Have at it if need be but it sure tasted good as is. I've never paid any attention to ingredients; calories, sodium, etc. My metabolism allows me to eat anything and everything without repercussion.
Mike Belt
Non-Typical

Postby GMB54 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Ive made or eaten just about every style of curry i can imagine. Its one of my favorite flavor profiles but i like mine pretty strong. Thai and Indian styles have intense flavors. Japanese, Chinese and Korean...not so much but they are still good. Thai and Indonesian styles use lots of coconut milk and fat. Indian leans more towards ghee, cream and yogurts. Certain kinds of fats REALLY make a curry standout. I never worry about if its a bad fat or a good fat unless it burns easily. I use ghee quite often instead of regular butter just because it has a better smoke point.

What i run into sometimes is a dish needs more curry flavor but the commercial mix includes salt. Well if its already salty enough thats obviously a problem. Thai curry pastes for instance are very salty too. A good curry powder or masala makes it very easy to adjust exactly what you want. Some are very easy to make from scratch.

Curry like chilli is one of those things that needs enough salt or it just wont taste right. Lets face it, a jumbo portion of most of them is gunna be way over the RDA for sodium even if you closely adjust the seasoning. I can scarf down a pretty big bowl of curry rice. :D

GMB54
6 Point

Postby ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 am

Sounds good
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
18 Point

Return to Cooking Forum