• Advertisement

Liquid gold

All about cooking

Liquid gold

Postby AT Hiker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Pronghorn Antelope bone broth. I bottled this quart today and will be surprised if it last me through the weekend.
Anyone else make there own broth? My recipe was simple. Roasted marrow bones, cut in half, for 1 hour at 350. Into crock pot for approximately 36 hours. First 10 hours I accidentally turned it up to high but the last 26 was in low. Added in 3 bay leaves and some pink sea salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AT Hiker
12 Point

Advertisement

Re: Liquid gold

Postby BamaProud » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:33 am

Yea we make broth every year out of our leftover Thanksgiving Turkey and also out of shrimp heads every time we bring shrimp back from the coast.

OK, now I want to make shrimp etouffee.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.
Wine-Down Brewing and Winemaking
BamaProud
16 Point

Postby Forvols » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 am

I make chicken broth or stock all the time. I smoke whole chickens and use the bones. I do the same with turkey. 110% better than store bought and cheap to make. I put it in gallon ziplock freezer bags get all the air out and lay flat in a tub in the freezer. I haven't tried using beef bones yet.
Forvols
10 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am

I can make poultry stock that's incredible. My shrimp stock is generally pretty good, too. But when it comes to mammal bones, I just can't ever get it to taste any better than dirty hooves.
TAFKAP
16 Point

Postby TX300mag » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Great stuff! Definitely never had antelope broth.

Broth is a staple in our cooking. CWD regs have affected us quite a bit the last few years, but we make due. There is a processor near us that will allow us to discard for them. But I'm cautious.

Broth from our Pastured broilers is awesome. Beef broth, Deer broth, squirrel broth, rabbit broth, dove broth, everything but raccoon. Haven't brought myself to mAke that.

Speaking of hooves-they make the best broth.

TX300mag
16 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 pm

TAFKAP wrote:I can make poultry stock that's incredible. My shrimp stock is generally pretty good, too. But when it comes to mammal bones, I just can't ever get it to taste any better than dirty hooves.

I think the key is not letting the bones get to a simmer. I used my crockpot on this one and had it on low. I also cut the marrow bones in half to expose more of the good stuff.

Like Tx said, hooves and chicken feet can really turn some broth into magic.

But yeah, dirty feet doesn’t sound good

AT Hiker
12 Point

Postby TX300mag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

How do you strain your broth? Cheesecloth clogs up too fast for me and the finest mesh strainer still lets grit through. There's got to be a better way I'm not thinking of.
TX300mag
16 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:21 pm

Hooves ? Uh-uh.. No way.. I seen what cows walk thru, ain't no way i'd try to make a broth out of that :|
gtk
10 Point

Postby shirtshirt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 pm

I made venison broth this year and it turned out great. I didn’t simmer that long - probably 8 hrs.
shirtshirt
Spike

Postby AT Hiker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 pm

TX300mag wrote:How do you strain your broth? Cheesecloth clogs up too fast for me and the finest mesh strainer still lets grit through. There's got to be a better way I'm not thinking of.

I used a normal kitchen strainer. I didn’t have cheese cloth this time but have had ok results with it.
I must note that I don’t put onion, celery, etc in mine. Maybe that is the difference? I also ate the bone marrow after it all cooled, simply delicious

AT Hiker
12 Point

Postby brass magnet » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

I roast the carrots, celery,peppercorns, and onion with the bones, then strain the broth through coffee filters sitting in a kitchen strainer. It's slow, but I'm usually doing something else anyway.
half of one six dozen of the other
brass magnet
8 Point

Return to Cooking Forum