• Advertisement

Gear Review Havalon Piranta - Electronic Scale

Deer hunt'n gear discussions

Gear Review Havalon Piranta - Electronic Scale

Postby Omega » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 pm

So after last year's CWD outbreak many advised using a Havalon to replace the blade between deer harvests, and I thought, what the heck I like knives. Well, this Saturday I harvested a doe and thought, perfect time to try out a couple new pieces of gear, an electronic scale, and my new knife.

The scale, well it's Chinese, but I wanted a shorter scale than my old Big Game spring scale because it was hard to raise a deer high enough with a foot+ long scale. So I ordered an electronic one off Amazon, I read the review and compared to the higher priced, and lower priced one and settle on this one. For the most part, it worked, though you have to remember to set it to pounds vs kilos, as it defaults to that. I started to remove batteries between used on many of my electronics since most every brand of battery seems to leak eventually except the lithiums (so far).
The only issue I had with the scale, was that it seems a bit non-weather resistant, as it is mostly light plastic, but it worked ok, I was able to switch out from my hoist on the truck, for transport, to the one on a rack where I field dress and quarter my deer and where I have the scale to get a weight before I field dress, that is the only weight I've ever really done, and this time too as I didn't want to leave the scale on while I did all the work, in case it could not take it. It was raining a bit and I did manage to get it wet, and even had some moisture under the clear plastic face. I don't know how long it will last, but hoping at least a few seasons, will update if it dies.

The Knife, well first off, it's sharp, maybe a bit too sharp. While I recognized the extra sharpness was a possible issue, I took great care with it, but still managed to puncture the gut slightly (not bad, no contamination), and I pricked my finger twice, again not bad. So I decided to order a replacement blade pack with a blunted tip, as that is what did the damage. I might just wear my kevlar glove under my nitrile gloves as it was close a couple times, but since this time I went without gloves, the nitrile may just have been enough, but I doubt it.
I know it mostly sounds negative, but no, I kind of liked it, it would just take a light touch to separate the hide from the connective tissue, and even the joints came apart relatively easy without having to really pry into it to get to the ligaments. You just have to be careful when going around things like the hip bones, where you, well me, use your fingers to pull the meat away a bit to cut close to the bone.
Now As to the reason I bought it in the first place, the disposable blades. Well yea, they can be thrown away as the replacement ones are cheap enough, but since this one is still insanely sharp, there is no need yet, as to the CWD, well, I'll have to rethink that as the handle would get as much contamination as the blade, possibly even more due to the nooks and crannies. Which brings up my last point, cleaning. It's a bit of a PITA to clean the handle, and if you want to do a good job you almost have to soak it and brush out the insides making you have to oil it down, unless everything is stainless, which it looks like, but still needs a good drying. I still had to get in there later with my other knife tip, due to bits still clinging to the edges. So if/when CWD gets here, I'll probably go to my schrade old timer as cleaning that will be much easier. But in the meantime, Ill keep using this a few more times.

Scale
https://smile.amazon.com/Hanging-Digital-Electronic-Weighing-Accurate/dp/B07P7Y6XF1

Knife
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GNZYM

The hopefully better replacement blade
https://smile.amazon.com/Havalon-Knives-9004755-Stainless-Replacement/dp/B011730QDY
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Gear Review Havalon Piranta - Electronic Scale

Postby MickThompson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm

If you get all the bits off, a bleach soak for 10 minutes will destroy CWD
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby cbhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 pm

I have been considering a havalon for a few years now but never have bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cbhunter
16 Point

Postby Omega » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:24 pm

MickThompson wrote:If you get all the bits off, a bleach soak for 10 minutes will destroy CWD

Yea, I had read that, but if that is true, and there is still controversy, then my schrade will do just fine. Not that I am getting rid of the Havelon, I still want to try the blunt tip, but the main reason I gave it a chance was the replacement blades for possible CWD issues, if the bleach soak works then there is no issue with current equipment.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
6 Point

Return to Deer Hunt'n Gear