Got a new recurve

morgancountry

Ok so I found a place to get my hands on some bows and shoot. I wound up with a PSE Nighthawk. I think it's actually a good looking bow. Been shooting some and can get softball size 5 shot groups at 10 yards sometimes and then all over the bag some too lol. Hopefully get more consistent as I find my final anchor points, aiming method, release, etc.
0effef7403a9f49b3178882d289ccd80.jpg
8c89b7eef7dad05bc0ae3b6798eda608.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morgancountry

62" 45lbs at 28". I know I have read and read the warnings about no getting "over bowed " to start. But I shot 35,40, and 50 lb bows when I shot in the pro shop. The older gentleman working there who had been shooting since the 60's said I handled the 50 surprisingly well. I started to get a 40 but he said he really thought I could handle the 45 if I shot quite often. So that's what I did. I don't feel like I've been over bowed. I guess time will tell.

Smo

Good looking bow, the more you shoot the easier the 45 lbs pull will be.

Stay in close until you start tearing up shafts & fletching , then move back in 5 yard increments.

That always worked for me....

morgancountry

eddie c":kzpsbqe9 said:
From where I stand on the over bowed would be if you had gotten a 70# bow. My opinion 45# is a good weight.

I joined over on Archery Talk just because of the wealth of information over there. But over there if I said I started with 45# you would think I committed a direct sin against God himself and I would never ever be able to shoot properly without starting with a 20# bow lol. Some people make things more complicated than they really are sometimes.

eddie c

morgancountry":1j1uf5he said:
eddie c":1j1uf5he said:
From where I stand on the over bowed would be if you had gotten a 70# bow. My opinion 45# is a good weight.

I joined over on Archery Talk just because of the wealth of information over there. But over there if I said I started with 45# you would think I committed a direct sin against God himself and I would never ever be able to shoot properly without starting with a 20# bow lol. Some people make things more complicated than they really are sometimes.

One reason I'm not on AT.
There are several sites with good info, just have to weed out the BS.

morgancountry

eddie c":377rfff2 said:
morgancountry":377rfff2 said:
eddie c":377rfff2 said:

One reason I'm not on AT.
There are several sites with good info, just have to weed out the BS.

Yes, weeding out BS is a life skill!

TnTurk

I killed a doe this year with a 44# bow that's over 50 years old and got a complete pass thru at 15 yards. So yes, your 45# bow is plenty to harvest any deer within you and your bows limits. As far as being overboard, I dont think any grown man with descent strength would have to worry about that as long as you work on the small intangibles like form and release. Enjoy your new bow and learn what it likes and dont like. That's part of the fun with tradition bows.

morgancountry

TnTurk":fa8vliwt said:
I killed a doe this year with a 44# bow that's over 50 years old and got a complete pass thru at 15 yards. So yes, your 45# bow is plenty to harvest any deer within you and your bows limits. As far as being overboard, I dont think any grown man with descent strength would have to worry about that as long as you work on the small intangibles like form and release. Enjoy your new bow and learn what it likes and dont like. That's part of the fun with tradition bows.

Right now I'm just working on getting a consistent shooting form. Experimenting with where I can get the most consistent anchor point that is natural and comfortable. Also figuring out how much angle to constantly hold the bow at. Early I think I was holding it too upright for shooting off the shelf. Once I angled it more my groups tightened up a little.

eddie c

morgancountry":1e1ggjul said:
TnTurk":1e1ggjul said:

Right now I'm just working on getting a consistent shooting form. Experimenting with where I can get the most consistent anchor point that is natural and comfortable. Also figuring out how much angle to constantly hold the bow at. Early I think I was holding it too upright for shooting off the shelf. Once I angled it more my groups tightened up a little.

A good friend once told me that you have to figure which shooting style is best for you. Check out most styles but most likely you will pick a little from each and develop your own.

morgancountry

Good advice. I think that's definitely what I'm doing. I have read and watch videos on instinctive, string walking, fixed crawl, tab vs glove, etc, lol. Right now my set up is 3 under. Shooting a tab and glove. I like a glove better. So now I'm looking for a better glove with a little more protection. Anchoring pointer finger in corner of my mouth with the string tip touching my nose. I am looking down the shaft to aim. I am putting a mark on the ground in front of my bag to consistently aim at. It gets me started but after I shoot a few shots I wind up not "aiming" as much and shoot both eyes open and actually shoot better than trying to aim so much. So I guess that is kind of a split vision method I guess. I'm aware of where the arrow tip is but more concentrated on the target. I'll post some pics of my groups if I get to shoot today or tomorrow.

tree_ghost

TN Song Dog":2uot0gi7 said:
Eddie, that's good advice from your friend. Trying to conform to a certain style could do more harm rather than developing a form all your own that works best for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is a great piece of advice that a lot of people don't understand. You don't have to have the "textbook" form some swear is needed to group well as long as the way you shoot it is a movement that you can consistently REPLICATE.

TN Song Dog

tree_ghost":3hgv5cd7 said:
TN Song Dog":3hgv5cd7 said:
Eddie, that's good advice from your friend. Trying to conform to a certain style could do more harm rather than developing a form all your own that works best for you.

This is a great piece of advice that a lot of people don't understand. You don't have to have the "textbook" form some swear is needed to group well as long as the way you shoot it is a movement that you can consistently REPLICATE.

Yep, great point about consistency too. Find what works, and then replicate it the same way every time.

jmlost

Good looking bow!
I like to get really close. Close enough I can't miss the target. I can then shoot and 100 percent focus on form and how it feels. When you take aiming out of equation you can really sharpen your form.

Latest posts