• Advertisement

2019 Plans

Talk about Elk

2019 Plans

Postby Buzzard Breath » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

I figured I'd beat AT to it since he beat me to the fitness thread.

After not drawing a "for sure" Wyoming antelope tag last year, I should draw it this year with 5 points. I'll probably schedule my trip for the middle of September and try decoying them. That way I won't miss the TN velvet hunt. I'll fly into Denver and pick up my rental demolition derby SUV and head solo to unit -- in Wyoming. I'll plan on a total of 9 days and hopefully get one killed in the first half of the trip and head to elk unit -- to do some scouting for a future tag that I should draw in the next couple of years.

I also got a text from a buddy today about hunting coues deer in AZ during the rut. I've hunted the early season and he's hunted them with a rifle. Neither of us has hunted the rut. I'm going to give this some serious thought and hopefully make it happen next year, or the following, at the latest. Going to have to run this by the wife, but a couple days ago, she text me about her traveling overseas in July with her girlfriends, so I think she'll be all for it. Well see.

What's everyone else's plans this year?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Buzzard Breath
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: 2019 Plans

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:35 pm

-Research and apply for a unit for my grandfather to cash in his 7 WY antelope points; possibly get some doe tags for me too
-Apply for MT general deer
-Decide if Presidents Island is my year to cash my points in or not
-Figure out if Im going to cash in on Iowa archery deer
-If not Iowa then figure out what Im going to do, either a backpacking scouting/fishing trip or possibly a 2nd choice WY backpack hunt
-AZ archery rut hunt sounds more and more doable and it wold be nice to vacate TN in January
-I really need to take advantage of this fall as my daughter starts kindergarten next year and planning extended hunts will become more difficult.

I am having some difficulty in a decision right now. Wyoming has changed things up and is now charging a 2.5% credit card fee. I have 7 elk points but don't have enough to get into a "quality" unit. I thought about applying for a random tag in a quality unit but my odds are like .78%, not to mention it would cost me approx non-refundable $32 to apply. Tack on the point fee and Im up to $85 for a WY elk "chance". Thats a bit pricey, IMO.

Im leaning to watching the draw odds and application numbers after this year. Not sure if many people are aware of the total cost or not, so if total applications drop then I may get in the game again.
AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby TX300mag » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Maybe Wyoming elk tag? I haven't looked at odds yet for 56 or 59 tags with just a preference point. If this is a 10 year or more dream my money may be better spent somewhere else.

Ohio again.

This is one of the year's where TN Muzzleloader will begin a full week behind TX General season. Assuming no Wyoming draw, I've been hitting some public land here in TX and have a pretty good plan for getting the kids on some deer. Public land is less restrictive for the kids here, so the older kids can hunt while I hunt with one of the younger ones. The youth hunt is last weekend in October so I'll likely spend it here since the accompaniment requirements are less restrictive. It's tough hunting but the kids have been troopers about it.

I've picked up a couple of new farms to hunt in west TN, so I've been picking up stands on clearance when I can. I've got about half a dozen stands to put up next month if time and weather allow.

I should draw LBL this year, always a good hunt. Maybe another draw or two. Public has been good to me the last few years.

I know a lot of guys look forward to season ending. I may start slow, but I am NOT one of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX300mag
16 Point

Postby BlackEagle1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm

I’ll be rolling the dice on Wyoming antelope again. I burnt my deer points last year and really don’t have a solid elk plan figured out yet. My the tag gods shine down again!!! I’m bout due a flop.....
BlackEagle1
4 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:41 pm

TX300mag wrote:Maybe Wyoming elk tag? I haven't looked at odds yet for 56 or 59 tags with just a preference point. If this is a 10 year or more dream my money may be better spent somewhere else.

Assuming your speaking of the general tag for those units, your draw odds are as follows.
1pt=14%
2pts=64%
3pts=100%

The WY general tag has gotten a lot tougher to draw because the limited entry units are practically impossible to draw.

AT Hiker
14 Point

2019 Plans

Postby PickettSFHunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 pm

-I need to research the Arizona Coues deer thing some after watching the Hunting Public. At least I could pack one of those out by myself without to much trouble if I had to.
- continue applying for various Texas quota hunts
- Looking at New Mexico or Washington turkeys in Spring 2020.
- South Dakota points

As for the East
- FL Osceola turkey draw hunt coming soon
- definitely more Sapelo and Blackbeard Island deer hunting
- more points in Iowa
- Alabama SOA hunts
- KY deer quota hunt points
-Georgia State Park points
- Illinois deer
- LBL deer and turkey

I’m sure I’m forgetting something. Just all depends on the draws.

Last edited by PickettSFHunter on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PickettSFHunter
16 Point

Postby TX300mag » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm

AT Hiker wrote:
TX300mag wrote:Maybe Wyoming elk tag? I haven't looked at odds yet for 56 or 59 tags with just a preference point. If this is a 10 year or more dream my money may be better spent somewhere else.

Assuming your speaking of the general tag for those units, your draw odds are as follows.
1pt=14%
2pts=64%
3pts=100%

The WY general tag has gotten a lot tougher to draw because the limited entry units are practically impossible to draw.

Thanks! I can live with those. I'm actually hoping for 2020 since my plan for kids is shaping up.

TX300mag
16 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm

PickettSFHunter wrote:-I need to research the Arizona Coues deer thing some after watching the Hunting Public. At least I could pack one of those out by myself without to much trouble if I had to.

Killing one is the hard part, trust me.
In addition, not all Coues deer are as small as the one Gritty killed on that video. Most are but the one and only one I’ve killed was substantially bigger than most, body wise.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby PickettSFHunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 pm

AT Hiker wrote:
PickettSFHunter wrote:-I need to research the Arizona Coues deer thing some after watching the Hunting Public. At least I could pack one of those out by myself without to much trouble if I had to.

Killing one is the hard part, trust me.
In addition, not all Coues deer are as small as the one Gritty killed on that video. Most are but the one and only one I’ve killed was substantially bigger than most, body wise.

I want a gun tag after seeing the terrain.

PickettSFHunter
16 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 pm

You can easily draw the units they hunted. They are border units, so you might have to deal with illegals.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby Buzzard Breath » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 am

AT Hiker wrote:

...... not all Coues deer are as small as the one Gritty killed

Mine was!!! If I remember right, it weighed 58 pounds, field dressed. I take unusual pride in being able to hit something that small. Biggest mistake I made was carrying that tick infested thing out on my shoulders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Buzzard Breath
10 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Wyoming Elk deadline tonight! After long thought and crunching numbers I’m opting out, I will buy a point once that becomes available. $30+ just to have a .1% draw odds is not very good. I will re-evaluate the odds and application numbers next year and see if they change.

Arizona elk and pronghorn coming up soon (Feb 12 I believe) I will be putting in for those.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby nwsg76 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

I think I have an addiction to applying for tags....
Arizona applied for elk but no real chance. Wyoming elk and deer will be preference points. Undecided about antelope as I have 9 points.
Colorado will be points for deer and elk. Montana will be points. Utah will apply for elk and deer but not real chance. Iowa will be applying for gun tag.
Applied for florida Turkey but just earned more points. Will do iowa turkey and maybe missouri.
nwsg76
4 Point

Postby hunter0925 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Hoping to draw a mulie tag in Colorado, know I will have an elk tag. Will deer hunt TN, east and middle. Will bear hunt east TN. Deer hunt Ohio for late muzzleloader. May try to get to another state if I can squeeze it in my work schedule. If I can kill a good mulie I'm not to concerned with the rest. I just hope to have a good time with good friends.
hunter0925
10 Point

Postby branden » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:02 pm

AT Hiker wrote:Wyoming Elk deadline tonight! After long thought and crunching numbers I’m opting out, I will buy a point once that becomes available. $30+ just to have a .1% draw odds is not very good. I will re-evaluate the odds and application numbers next year and see if they change.

Arizona elk and pronghorn coming up soon (Feb 12 I believe) I will be putting in for those.

Have you checked your BP points yet. AZGFD changed there website. I tried to put in last night but my account was locked up. I have to call them today and get it fixed!!
branden
Button

Postby AT Hiker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:04 pm

branden wrote:Have you checked your BP points yet. AZGFD changed there website. I tried to put in last night but my account was locked up. I have to call them today and get it fixed!!

I checked them a couple weeks back and everything was fine. I will be applying soon so I guess I should try it ASAP in case I have a issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm

AZ just extended the deadline until 10pm tonight. So anyone that forgot best be gettin on.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby wjohnson1983 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:08 pm

AT Hiker wrote:AZ just extended the deadline until 10pm tonight. So anyone that forgot best be gettin on.

Shhh...

I need my points to mean something one of these years.
wjohnson1983
4 Point

Postby tn droptine » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm

I’ll be elk hunting here in Utah, and possibly mule deer here if I get drawn. I have to go to Missouri in November to pick up my mount from last year - I may hunt some public land I looked at last year that looked promising during the rut. I may cash in and hunt LBL this year also (maybe).
And add to my preference point balance in WY for deer and antelope.
tn droptine
8 Point

Postby shirtshirt » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 am

Drew a general elk tag in Wyoming. Fired up!
shirtshirt
4 Point

Next

Return to Hunting - other than deer