2017 Applications

AT Hiker

Just submitted my WY Elk app, with 8 tags in the random draw I stand a slight chance! Im short on the points to draw it but Im trying my luck in the random anyways. Also submitted my TN turkey quota today as well.

Now to check in on the other state deadlines and get organized. Assuming I do not draw I hope WY gives me my money back quick so I can apply for the WY special deer tag...IM HUNTING WYOMING this year, just to be clear ;)

What about everyone else?

nwsg76

Arizona elk jan. Then my annual donation to utah for deer and elk in feb. I think new mexico elk also. Not much of chance to actually draw any of these but you have to try. Then iowa for bow tag (should draw). Points only in colorado deer and elk. Wyoming points for deer ,elk, antelope. North dakota mule deer is another one I have good chance to draw this year with 8 bonus points.
Crap.. I hope my wife never reads this....lol

Buzzard Breath

The only thing I'm putting in for certain in NM elk. 1 in a billion chance for what I want to draw, but I never miss it. I've got a brother in law getting married "in the fall". Normally this wouldn't matter and I'd just go hunt somewhere, but I've missed 9 out of 10 wedding anniversaries due to being on a hunting trip. So, I want to make this for my wife. If we get the wedding packet before May, AT and I have talked about some WY mule deer ideas. In the meantime, I'm planning on hitting the TN early archery S. Cherokee bear hunt full force and hunting all 9 days of it. IMO, this will be the best time for someone without dogs to kill a bear. I spend all summer in the area fishing and hiking. See lots of bears.

I'm also open to finding a cancellation hunt for about anything if it has the right price. I'm seriously thinking about going after the Super 10.

wjohnson1983

Trying to make the stars align to go to WY again. If I am able to go, I have to decide between trying to draw a random antelope again, or make this a combo deer(4 points)/antelope (6 points) hunt and pick units with 100% odds.

AT Hiker

wjohnson1983":2w8m7tuq said:
Trying to make the stars align to go to WY again. If I am able to go, I have to decide between trying to draw a random antelope again, or make this a combo deer(4 points)/antelope (6 points) hunt and pick units with 100% odds.

Could you draw deer unit 34 in the special app? Along with one of those quality antelope units around it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":28xvheav said:
wjohnson1983":28xvheav said:

Could you draw deer unit 34 in the special app? Along with one of those quality antelope units around it?

34 took 6 in the special last year. I was seriously looking into cashing in my deer points on this unit. Then I talked to a couple guys that hunted it and saw some of the bucks that are killed there. I decided I'm just going to keep collecting points for deer in WY. G is the only thing worth drawing with less than max points but its got such a low success rate for unguided non-residents I'm not sure I want to hunt it either.

wjohnson1983

BB beat me to the post while I was looking it up. I haven't done much research on deer in WY. I've just been collecting the points while I was already doing the antelope points. I'm not sure if it was rokslide or eastmans, but I read where parts of WY are having a large winter kill. Could be a diversion tactic to keep folks away from that unit though.

I'll do points in CO this year. Thinking about doing points in AZ and NV also.

AT Hiker

I'm shooting for G as well. When I do draw it I will spend every single free day that year in G. Fly out for a couple Summer scouting trips, then archery and if need be rifle. After that, I'm prob gonna spend my points back over in the Big Horns. Or maybe even a H tag if I can handle G.

nwsg76

Thinking about G as well. I think i have 7 points so I should be able to draw it. But I am too fat to climb that mountain without some 4 legged assistance. We may be able to get a decent group together and at least share information over a couple years.

AT Hiker

I would be willing to share any info on G whenever I get into it. I have read that quality outfitters are booked 2-3 yrs in advanced in G. So if your looking for a outfitter to get you up in there then I would start talking to them now as you have the points to draw. G is by far the #1 trophy unit, crazy part is it is a general tag for residents. Wonder how long that will last?

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":10e0xctx said:
I'm shooting for G as well. When I do draw it I will spend every single free day that year in G. Fly out for a couple Summer scouting trips, then archery and if need be rifle. After that, I'm prob gonna spend my points back over in the Big Horns. Or maybe even a H tag if I can handle G.

Let's definitely get together and talk about this at the convention next month. I'd like to put in for G in 2019 and hunt the entire archery season. I'd like to fly out this August just to backpack some and explore the unit with future scouting trips in 2018 and a final one before the hunt in 2019.

We need to renew our talks about Alaska also. I've told myself and my wife I'm hunting sitka blacktails next year even if it means having a pilot drop me off on top a mountain by myself for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mackey

A buddy and I filed out reservation forms tonight for an archery hunt with Boulder Basin Outfitters near Cody WY. Elk area 59. The hunt will be subject to drawing the tags but the outfitter says he think we should have about a 75% chance. Fingers crossed!

Mackey

LanceS4803

I think Utah opens up tomorrow.
Unfortunately, my hunting buddy is getting deployed this Fall, so it will be points only for LE deer. Will pay my lottery money for Once in a Lifetime hunts.

wjohnson1983

Are ya'll talking about the NWTF convention? I'm thinking about going on Friday and would like to meet you and at least say hello for helping me out with the WY antelope hunt last year.

I know very little about Sitka blacktails in AK, but I lived in interior AK for 4.5 years and still have friends there. I might be able to answer some questions for you about moose and caribou.

Buzzard Breath

wjohnson1983":3w4mbevw said:
Are ya'll talking about the NWTF convention? I'm thinking about going on Friday and would like to meet you and at least say hello for helping me out with the WY antelope hunt last year.

I know very little about Sitka blacktails in AK, but I lived in interior AK for 4.5 years and still have friends there. I might be able to answer some questions for you about moose and caribou.
PM sent

AT Hiker

nwsg76":3lw251dc said:
I just looked and I have 8 wyoming deer and 7 antelope points. I could be talked into splitting my points in next few years for the right situation.

Keep me posted if you do decide.

Latest posts