• Advertisement

Advice on elk gear

Talk about Elk

Advice on elk gear

Postby dgolden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:48 pm

Headed out to Colorado for my first DIY elk hunt. Need some advice on a somewhat inexpensive GPS and pack with a meat shelf. Trying to stay around the $200 or less mark for each. There are so many to look at and I would like to hear reviews from real people lol
I’ve got OnX, but feel like a gps may be better. Thanks in advance!
dgolden
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Advice on elk gear

Postby Polarkraft » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 pm

dgolden wrote:Headed out to Colorado for my first DIY elk hunt. Need some advice on a somewhat inexpensive GPS and pack with a meat shelf. Trying to stay around the $200 or less mark for each. There are so many to look at and I would like to hear reviews from real people lol
If all you need is a basic gps with limited features I may be able to hook you up with my older but barely used garmin unit. I can give more details in a pm if you like to discuss

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Polarkraft
Spike

Postby tellico4x4 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:34 pm

Download onyx offline & it'll be as good as most gps. Cabela's Alaskan is good choice. I'd line up a local to pack out if needed. Hard learned lesson .

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
tellico4x4
8 Point

Postby dgolden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:46 pm

Polarkraft wrote:
dgolden wrote:Headed out to Colorado for my first DIY elk hunt. Need some advice on a somewhat inexpensive GPS and pack with a meat shelf. Trying to stay around the $200 or less mark for each. There are so many to look at and I would like to hear reviews from real people lol
If all you need is a basic gps with limited features I may be able to hook you up with my older but barely used garmin unit. I can give more details in a pm if you like to discuss

Absolutely, send me a pm!
dgolden
4 Point

Postby dgolden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 pm

tellico4x4 wrote:Download onyx offline & it'll be as good as most gps. Cabela's Alaskan is good choice. I'd line up a local to pack out if needed. Hard learned lesson .

I’ve downloaded OnX offline and saved the area we will be hunting in. Just worried when I’m out there with no service it won’t do everything I want. I guess I haven’t used it enough and when I do use it I have service.
dgolden
4 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:15 pm

OnX will be better than a $200 GPS. I would invest $30 in a quick charge stick to carry with you to recharge your phone if needed. It will be tough to get a high quality pack with meat shelf for $200, even used. You may look at the Eberlestock frame and use a couple of their batwings to carry your gear.
Phil. 2:3
TNRifleman
12 Point

Postby dgolden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 pm

TNRifleman wrote:OnX will be better than a $200 GPS. I would invest $30 in a quick charge stick to carry with you to recharge your phone if needed. It will be tough to get a high quality pack with meat shelf for $200, even used. You may look at the Eberlestock frame and use a couple of their batwings to carry your gear.

Well it sounds like I may be underestimating OnX. Therefore, I may be able to splurge a bit more on a pack.
dgolden
4 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:29 pm

dgolden wrote:
TNRifleman wrote:OnX will be better than a $200 GPS. I would invest $30 in a quick charge stick to carry with you to recharge your phone if needed. It will be tough to get a high quality pack with meat shelf for $200, even used. You may look at the Eberlestock frame and use a couple of their batwings to carry your gear.

Well it sounds like I may be underestimating OnX. Therefore, I may be able to splurge a bit more on a pack.

I took both my phone with ON X and my Garmin 64S to CO last year and never even turned on the Garmin. Offline map mode with OnX is fantastic.
Phil. 2:3
TNRifleman
12 Point

Postby turk870 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 pm

As far as a lower price pack goes, my wife got a Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28 last year and she liked it, she and I packed out an elk. (we were hunting from a base camp, not back country)But it will be more than $200. I use a Kifaru frame with quarter panel with pockets attached, it can pack way more weight than I can, but they are not cheap.

As far as a GPS I always have one out of habit, but rarely use it as others have stated onx is awesome.
turk870
6 Point

Postby Polarkraft » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 pm

dgolden wrote:

If you haven't considered it. Spend every extra time you have on boots. Then put 50 miles on them before you go. For what it's worth, you can find gently used high end packs on rokslide for a deal if you are patient.

Polarkraft
Spike

Postby Midnight rider » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:52 am

For a pack I got the badlands 2200 from amazon right now for $199. I am really liking it. Broke it in on a couple of hikes and think I picked a winner.
Midnight rider
Spike

Postby rtaylor » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 am

My garmin gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and I started using the offline maps from OnX and they are great. As far as the pack goes I would visit rokslide.com and check the classifieds there. Lots of big money guys buy a pack for one hunt and then post them for good prices on the classifieds. Good luck on your hunt.
rtaylor
6 Point

Postby dgolden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Man I love this site. Thanks y’all for all the input! I’m sure I’ll have a few other questions before heading out there.
dgolden
4 Point

Postby Mattt » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:12 am

Don’t necessarily need a pack frame to haul meat. I also use Kifaru, and we have stone glacier and exo in vamp. I have a loner pack for others that is a 15 year old Kelly backpack. Works pretty good for hauling meat. I’ve carried a lot of meat in junk packs from rei and Cabela’s so don’t overthink that. Spend the money on boots. Same with gps, I use one but still have paper map and compass. Yesterday and today our garmins won’t work because of the snow/cloud cover.
Mattt
6 Point

Postby redheadshooter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:41 am

I would 100% not buy a GPS and put $400-$500 into a pack. A good pack is worth it’s weight in gold in the mountains. I personally run a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 for my backcountry hunts!

OnX offline will do everything you need and more! I used to pack my GPS and would never even get it out of the pack.

I would look into the inReach though! It’s always nice knowing that if SHTF, you have that to rely on!

This is my Beartooth with about a 115 lb load! Holds up like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redheadshooter
8 Point

Postby lightsareout » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:48 am

dgolden wrote:
tellico4x4 wrote:Download onyx offline & it'll be as good as most gps. Cabela's Alaskan is good choice. I'd line up a local to pack out if needed. Hard learned lesson .

I’ve downloaded OnX offline and saved the area we will be hunting in. Just worried when I’m out there with no service it won’t do everything I want. I guess I haven’t used it enough and when I do use it I have service.

Save all the maps you think you may need before going in. Keep your phone on airplane mode to save battery and your an get a battery (Anker makes good ones for about $30) so you can get a full charge on your phone a couple times.
lightsareout
8 Point

Postby dgolden » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks for the advice y’all! I ended up getting the Badlands 2200. Should be good for what I need it for. Now on to getting my fat butt in shape!
dgolden
4 Point

Return to Hunting - other than deer